Simple feed rate chart.

Doug Gray

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
This has been on my To-do list for years.

A simple feed rate chart. No more stooping to read the tiny chart, no worrying about 0.xxx per rev. I have condensed all the feed rate info down to eight easy settings, course to fine. works for longitudinal and cross feed. Works regardless of wich gears are in use. Printed up on 8 1/2 x 11 and posted on the wall behind the lathe.

Thoughts?

1679365432237.png

1679364943133.png

What lathe does it pertain to? Also note that South Bend lathes have a different feed rate on long and cross feed.

Actually I have fairly well stabilized on around 4 thou per revolution. Seems to work well over a large range of materials, speeds and inserts.
No doubt it's not optimal, but it's easy.

Actually I have fairly well stabilized on around 4 thou per revolution. Seems to work well over a large range of materials, speeds and inserts.
No doubt it's not optimal, but it's easy.
Me, too: too much trouble doing manual gear changes on a Mini-Lathe!

This pertains to a King 1440

This has been on my To-do list for years.
Thoughts?

Hi Doug,

Great idea!
I would find that very helpful, especially since the chart on the machine is low, dark and too small.
As John York points out I might need a second list for cross-feed vs. longitudinal feed. (Southbend 9")

I also need to make a quick chart for threading; 8TPI lead-screw when cutting odd threads do I engage the carriage on any number, or only even numbers?
I can't seem to remember the formula about "i" before "e" except after "c" except for February that only has 28, blah, blah, blah.....

Currently, I only use one specific number on the threading dial and wait for longer than required for it to come around again.

Brian

Generally, it is even threads on any line, odd threads on any numbered line, half threads on opposite numbers, and quarter threads on one number only.

Generally, it is even threads on any line, odd threads on any numbered line, half threads on opposite numbers, and quarter threads on one number only.
I add that if the thread is a factor of the lead screw, the half nuts can be closed anywhere. IE, if you have a 4 TPI lead screw, you can close anywhere on 4,8,16, 32, 64, etc. TPI workpieces.

Back