Sine bar/plate "angle" gage blocks; looking for some additional info

keeena

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've had these gage blocks for a year or two as part an auction lot (they were in a tool chest/box I bought). They are a set of gage blocks with specific dimensions to achieve whole angles on a 5" sine bar/plate...basically they are cheater blocks so you don't have to do the math and then stack a set of typical gage blocks. Most of them cover 2 angles by having a slightly different lengths depending on orientation/axis; a couple cover 3 different angles.

Now that I can use them (recently bought my first sine bar/vise): I'm curious to learn a little more about them. How common are these and is there a specific name for them? I have never seen anything like them. I've searched for descriptions like "gage blocks for sine..." but I only find traditional gage blocks or the blocks with the physical angle geometry.

SineBarAngleBlocks.jpg

I considered that, but the way the angle markings are done (specifically: the darkening/bluing) made me lean towards manufactured. You certainly could be right though - no makers mark anywhere and the non-dimension side is very unfinished (not quite mill scale though)

Numbers are all off kilter in one way or another and not spaced nicely in the recess, I’d go with the ‘shop made’ suggestion as well.

Only rules you have to remember ......
The angle of the dangle is equal to or less than the heat of the meat .
The siney of the hiney is always greater than the mass of the a$$ .

This was taught in apprentice class year one . ( If I remember correctly ) ;)

Very nice, would save a lot of wear and tear on the gage block sets. Off kilter numbering? the shop likely did not have a pantograph engraver.

What a great idea! I've never heard of them, but it makes such good sense.

They don't even have to be gauge block accurate; within a half thou for most angles is quite close enough for many circumstances.

I'll believe shop made; our tool department made a set for Q.C. inspection and another for me as calibration tech. Was real handy. I got curious and looked on Starret's website; nothing there. You would think they would offer something.

Back