Single Point Threading First Time

Question, I have a screw on chuck but it has locks on it that should prevent it from screwing off when in reverse. Do they work or can it still be a problem?

For your first threading job I suggest doing it the conventional way. It sounds like you do not have the issue of threading to a shoulder therefore there is no advantage to Joe Pie's method. You can cut a thread relief and end your thread in the relief.
If you run into a problem it is easier to troubleshoot when you can see the tool in the cut.

I am a firm believer in flank feeding the tool using the compound. The chip moves smoothly across the tool because there is no chip coming from the back side of the tool to jam it.

Save the exotiv methods for those jobs that require them.

None of the commonly discussed methods are difficult, and they all work. Try all of them. Pick the best one for the job at hand.

It only hurts because it is true. But it was said entirely in jest. But unless you are left handed, if tomorrow you saw no one who was left handed ever again, you would never notice. On the flip side, if everyone you ran into was left handed, you would absolutely notice. Unless of course you are of the type to run the carriage into the tailstock,
Hey, I’m lefthanded and proud of it. And it doesn't hurt at all. But, to overcome the “handicap” of lefthandedness, I set a large mirror in front of my lathe and run it from the back side. I thread from left to…. or is it right to…. ? I will admit that the mirror image confuses me sometimes and I’ll cut an internal thread when I wanted an external one.

Tom

Just make sure that the spindle and lead screw are spinning in the same direction or else you will cut a left hand thread..... Also make sure to engage your back gears so that you have plenty of time to release the half nuts... Single Point Threading is one of the easiest things you can do on a lathe... I just cut my first internal thread on the lathe 3/4-28 was scary for a minute but it was no problem at all....

Back