Site name?

Uncle Buck

Registered
Registered
I believe this site is fairly new if I am not mistaken. I keep seeing folks talk about pulling info from the old site. If I might ask, what was the name of the old site?

matter of fact you are getting bonus pictures. LOL

Some of the moderators have been going through cleaning up duplicates, well actually as many as Octuplets. Hopefully we will be finished soon. LOL

Walter

Buck,

Here is the straight story:

On September 15, 2010, I wanted to make a personal website for myself, so I bought my name and some cheap web hosting.

When I was looking at the web server cpanel, I saw some forum software packages- PHPbb, SMF, etc. that were available for free.
They could be automatically installed on your domain for free too. So I figured, why not? I had the space. Just needed a name.
I searched whois, looking for a name that described people like me who did this just for fun as a hobby in their part-time.
The name Hobby-Machinist.com was available, so I bought it. It is grammatically correct as well as descriptive of what we are.
SMF was the easiest package to get set up and running, so that was what I selected for software for the forum.
I had the basics set up a few days later, and tried to get the site up. It was tough!
We had one crash a week or so later that wiped everything out, and I had to start over. And I did.

Except for several outages on the old server, and our recent upgrade to VBulletin paid forum software, and a better server,
we have been up and running for one year and nearly two months.

Make yourself at home, invite your friends from other forums, we're pretty friendly

:tiphat:Nelson

Buck,

Here is the straight story:

On September 15, 2010, I wanted to make a personal website for myself, so I bought my name and some cheap web hosting.

When I was looking at the web server cpanel, I saw some forum software packages- PHPbb, SMF, etc. that were available for free.
They could be automatically installed on your domain for free too. So I figured, why not? I had the space. Just needed a name.
I searched whois, looking for a name that described people like me who did this just for fun as a hobby in their part-time.
The name Hobby-Machinist.com was available, so I bought it. It is grammatically correct as well as descriptive of what we are.
SMF was the easiest package to get set up and running, so that was what I selected for software for the forum.
I had the basics set up a few days later, and tried to get the site up. It was tough!
We had one crash a week or so later that wiped everything out, and I had to start over. And I did.

Except for several outages on the old server, and our recent upgrade to VBulletin paid forum software, and a better server,
we have been up and running for one year and nearly two months.

Make yourself at home, invite your friends from other forums, we're pretty friendly

:tiphat:Nelson

Actually myself and another fellow started a site on VBulletin a year ago June and we have been very pleased with how our sites have run. I have been on several dedicated machinist sites over the last few years, but I never felt they were a real good fit for me. By the description I saw on the home page here I believe this place will be a much better fit for me.:thumbzup:

Back