Resolved Site Status - Message from Admins - Please Read

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Evening all...

As most of you know or have reported here, we have numerous technical issues after a recent upgrade. Not to put a spin on it, but the upgrade was successful overall with no loss of data or content.

There were a number of server configuration errors that could be grouped into three categories:

- Login
- Access to content
- Renewing membership

Login - I believe this issue is resolved, however, some members may still be experiencing errors. If so, please log out and try to log back in. This should renew your cookie and create a new session with the upgraded software on the server.

Access to content - some people have reported being unable to access certain forums. I have been unable to replicate this problem, so I am not certain if this is still a problem. However, if you are still unable to access a forum or a thread, try logging out and logging back in. It is possible that cookies are wreaking havoc on this front as well. If the problem still occurs, see instructions below labeled "Reporting a Problem."

Tapatalk was a secondary problem some members were experiencing - that specific problem has been resolved.

Renewing membership - this one is proving to be a head-scratcher. I have a ticket in with the main software developer and trying to determine where the problem is.

My goal is to resolve the remainder of the issues this week. If you encounter any further problems, please read on:

"Reporting a Problem"

Step 1 - search the Site / Support Ticket sub-forum for issues that are similar to yours.
Step 2 - take screens shots of your problem/errors if possible.
Step 3 - reply to the post that has already reported the problem and share your screen shots.
Step 4 - if it is a new/unique problem that nobody has reported, please start a new thread and follow steps 2-3.

Most everyone here knows me and Dabbler are the admins. I do most of the behind the scenes admin work on server problems and working with the developers to resolve these issues. Dabbler and the moderator staff are doing the heavy lifting on moderating threads and sub-forums. It is important to remember that we are all volunteers and either have a day job or limited availability to immediately jump on a report.

I want to thank everyone for being patient as we work through the problems. This is hands down the best online community I have ever interacted with and am really grateful to have the opportunity to keep this site going with all of your help. Thank you!

Thanks you for your efforts. I could not log on for a few days but all is fine now. :encourage:

My clients frequently ask me about update prompts.
I ask them if they remember Nancy Reagan.
Just Say NO!
The likelihood that someone will hack your computer is much smaller than the likelihood that the update will screw it up.

Thanks for all you do to make this the best machining forum on the internet.

Evening all...

As most of you know or have reported here, we have numerous technical issues after a recent upgrade. Not to put a spin on it, but the upgrade was successful overall with no loss of data or content.

There were a number of server configuration errors that could be grouped into three categories:

- Login
- Access to content
- Renewing membership

Login - I believe this issue is resolved, however, some members may still be experiencing errors. If so, please log out and try to log back in. This should renew your cookie and create a new session with the upgraded software on the server.

Access to content - some people have reported being unable to access certain forums. I have been unable to replicate this problem, so I am not certain if this is still a problem. However, if you are still unable to access a forum or a thread, try logging out and logging back in. It is possible that cookies are wreaking havoc on this front as well. If the problem still occurs, see instructions below labeled "Reporting a Problem."

Tapatalk was a secondary problem some members were experiencing - that specific problem has been resolved.

Renewing membership - this one is proving to be a head-scratcher. I have a ticket in with the main software developer and trying to determine where the problem is.

My goal is to resolve the remainder of the issues this week. If you encounter any further problems, please read on:

"Reporting a Problem"

Step 1 - search the Site / Support Ticket sub-forum for issues that are similar to yours.
Step 2 - take screens shots of your problem/errors if possible.
Step 3 - reply to the post that has already reported the problem and share your screen shots.
Step 4 - if it is a new/unique problem that nobody has reported, please start a new thread and follow steps 2-3.

Most everyone here knows me and Dabbler are the admins. I do most of the behind the scenes admin work on server problems and working with the developers to resolve these issues. Dabbler and the moderator staff are doing the heavy lifting on moderating threads and sub-forums. It is important to remember that we are all volunteers and either have a day job or limited availability to immediately jump on a report.

I want to thank everyone for being patient as we work through the problems. This is hands down the best online community I have ever interacted with and am really grateful to have the opportunity to keep this site going with all of your help. Thank you!
Thanks for the update; however, since I couldn't reliablyget into the Forum, I couldn't search for this post or any related topics. Fortunately, yesterday here was a thread started on the HSM Forum that included a link to this thread..

Can you confirm that we can reach out to support@hobby-machinist.com in the future?

Thanks,

Charlie

EDIT – Forgot to include the screen shot of the message I got when trying to get in:

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 11.17.31 AM.png

Last edited:
My clients frequently ask me about update prompts.
I ask them if they remember Nancy Reagan.
Just Say NO!
The likelihood that someone will hack your computer is much smaller than the likelihood that the update will screw it up.

Thanks for all you do to make this the best machining forum on the internet.
It seems that this is frequently the case in the PC & Android world, but I have never had issues in the MacOS/iOS side (other than once when I updated my iPhone but hadn't updated the Mac: the platforms assumed that both were current and were handling AirDrop photo transfers so I couldn't open them on the Mac – a quick call straightened things out).

Thanks for the update; however, since I couldn't reliablyget into the Forum, I couldn't search for this post or any related topics. Fortunately, yesterday here was a thread started on the HSM Forum that included a link to this thread..

Can you confirm that we can reach out to support@hobby-machinist.com in the future?

Thanks,

Charlie

EDIT – Forgot to include the screen shot of the message I got when trying to get in:

View attachment 454450

Confirmed on support email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back