size of square drives on hand taps

tackit

Registered
Registered
I would like to know if the 3/8 square drive on a Lisle 5/8 X 11 hand tap is the same size as the square drive on a 1/2" hand tap. Thank You

No. couldn't be that easy.
Here's a chart of those sizes. Takes a little looking at to figure out but it's all in there.
http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/info/Tap_Shank.html

Thanks rgray, if I'm reading the chart right it looks like the square drive on a 1/2" tap is .275..... and on a 5/8 tap is .357, at least on mine. I can't get to my tap and dies so that's why I'm asking for help. I ordered an Armstong 1/2 X 3/8 eight point socket from NAPA, $7 and change .. I don't think .018 slop will prevent me from tapping the three holes I still need to do. After I ordered the socket from NAPA I thought about my impact sockets, I'm thinking there is a chance they might be six or eight-point sockets. I have to check. Thanks again

Hi Randy, good to hear from you buddy .. I couldn't get back in the other website and lost track of you.. I'm building a skid out of 2 1/2 square tube and solid bar to bring my Lathemaster lathe up the basement stairs. My knees are shot so I can't go down the basement steps anymore and spend time on the lathe.

I'm drilling and tapping the solid rods which come all way through the square tube and will be welded on both sides for 5/8 X 11 X 4" bolts..... the bolts will act as axles for wheels I'm going to attach to the skid once I get the lathe upstairs on the kitchen floor. I bought a 4000 lb wench to do the pulling up the stairs.... so if I thought this through correctly everything should work out like it never does.:chunky:

I have the 8 piece Lisle tap holder set but it won't fit a 5/8 tap. I'll see how the Armstrong socket From NAPA works, or if I'm lucky my impact sockets will work and I won't have to wait for Tuesday to get here. Again it's great to hear from you again Randy. Jim

Hi Randy, good to hear from you buddy .. I couldn't get back in the other website and lost track of you.. I'm building a skid out of 2 1/2 square tube and solid bar to bring my Lathemaster lathe up the basement stairs. My knees are shot so I can't go down the basement steps anymore and spend time on the lathe.

I'm drilling and tapping the solid rods which come all way through the square tube and will be welded on both sides for 5/8 X 11 X 4" bolts..... the bolts will act as axles for wheels I'm going to attach to the skid once I get the lathe upstairs on the kitchen floor. I bought a 4000 lb wench to do the pulling up the stairs.... so if I thought this through correctly everything should work out like it never does.:chunky:

I have the 8 piece Lisle tap holder set but it won't fit a 5/8 tap. I'll see how the Armstrong socket From NAPA works, or if I'm lucky my impact sockets will work and I won't have to wait for Tuesday to get here. Again it's great to hear from you again Randy. Jim

Jim, Just be sure and practice your safety. Sounds like you have exhausted your options on the tap sockets. I recommend trying any of your 6 and 12 point sockets to see they will engage the square. And don't limit your selection to inch, metric may be a better fit. If you get one of these to work it may save you some money and time. Good Luck.

Jim, Just be sure and practice your safety. Sounds like you have exhausted your options on the tap sockets. I recommend trying any of your 6 and 12 point sockets to see they will engage the square. And don't limit your selection to inch, metric may be a better fit. If you get one of these to work it may save you some money and time. Good Luck.

Thanks for the metric idea Randy, you are so right, I'll check the Metric sockets out as well. I don't think the 1/2" Irwin tap holder is big enough for a 5/8 tap. The 1/2 " pertains to the tap size not the square drive, you would think it would be big enough but it's not, at least Lisles isn't anyway.

The Walton Company makes tap extensions that are the correct size to snugly fit tap shanks; they also make tap extractors and machine tapping extension shanks. Trying to use an ill fitting socket for tapping is going to be frustrating.

Back