Slitting saw arbor

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
H-M Platinum Supporter
I don't need one, yet. However, I can foresee the need. (That is my story, and I am sticking TO it)

Spent a really long time getting this built, and it was alot of fun.
This one is .625, with one for 1.000 in the works.
Lateral runout .0015 at the periphery. I will have to put it to work to see axial runout, but my eyes can't see any....
Boring is fun stuff for a sorta fussy old mechanic...

Attachments

• 20210318_135753.jpg
    20210318_135753.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 20210318_135401 (1).jpg
    20210318_135401 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
Nice work, it's on my project list!

I like that design- especially the recessed screw- nice touch
-Mark

I look at these things and yikes they scare me. A supper sharp unguarded saw blade spinning at who knows what rpm. I haven't figured out what I would ever do with one.

Westerner you made a very nice looking slitting saw. Something to be proud of. First class work.

I look at these things and yikes they scare me. A supper sharp unguarded saw blade spinning at who knows what rpm. I haven't figured out what I would ever do with one.

Westerner you made a very nice looking slitting saw. Something to be proud of. First class work.

Making slits/slots in parts that need to clamp down on something is the most common use for these things. They are extremely useful, Chuck.

Really smart design, should fit a wide array of thicknesses!

Very nice! Did you do a drawing or work from another plan?

Craig

Very nice! Did you do a drawing or work from another plan?

Craig
I drew my own, but this is a direct copy of several brands on the market. Joe Pie has a video on making one. His tip about leaving zero radius in the corner of the cap where the saw seats was helpful.

A special thanks goes out to Mikey and his thread "A boring primer".
The concept of cutting deeper than your tool radius to achieve consistent cuts was crucial. All that was left for me to do was to carefully measure results as I went, and screw up the courage to do the math and GO FOR IT.

Thanks Mikey. A very light stoning on the bore was all I needed to get a VERY tight slip fit to the cap.

Back