Slitting Saw Depth of Cut

Nyala

Registered
Registered
I'm looking at a future small scale project that will require the use of a slitting saw, something that I have never used. The question that I cannot seem to find an answer for in my research is in regards to blade diameter.

I will need to cut a .125" slot in 1/2" aluminum, about 1.25" deep.

When I buy a blade, how deep can I expect it to cut? I know that I'm not going to get a 2" deep slot with a 2" blade, but how deep can I expect a 2" blade to reach? Perhaps I need a 3" blade, or a 2.5" blade.

There is lots of talk on the forum and Internet about the depth of individual cuts but I couldn't find anything related to the overall reach of any given diameter blade.

Can anyone advise?

Thank you.

Denny

The depth of cut will be Exactly half the diameter of the saw blade minus half of the diameter of the mandrel/mounting post that drives the blade.

I would get a 3" blade to cut the 1.25" slot you need assuming the drive post/mandrel is no larger then 1/2" diameter.

This reminds me of a riddle from my childhood which ask this question.........How far into the woods can a wolf chase a rabbit?................................................. Answer, Half way! Once the rabbit reaches the center point the wolf would then be chasing the rabbit Out of the Woods!

Last edited:
Why not just use a two flute endmill with successive cuts until depth is reached being aluminum?

Why not just use a two flute endmill with successive cuts until depth is reached being aluminum?

Because you can plunge saw the part in a less than a quarter of the time it would take you slot it with an end mill without worrying if the end mill will break

The depth of cut will be Exactly half the diameter of the saw blade minus half of the diameter of the mandrel/mounting post that drives the blade.

I would get a 3" blade to cut the 1.25" slot you need assuming the drive post/mandrel is no larger then 1/2" diameter.

This reminds me of a riddle from my childhood which ask this question.........How far into the woods can a wolf chase a rabbit?................................................. Answer, Half way! Once the rabbit reaches the center point the wolf would then be chasing the rabbit Out of the Woods!
Most slitting saws that could achieve that depth of cut would have a much larger arbor hole than you suggest, and allowance needs to be made for the collars and whatever else holds it on the arbor, that means that the slitting saw would have to be on the order of 4" diameter.

There are other forums here much more appropriate for this thread, because you're only asking people that own PM gear with it hear.

My thanks to all. Now I have a place to start. I will only need to cut two parts but using an end mill wouldn't give any experience (newbie here) using a slitting saw. Plus, I wouldn't have an excuse to buy more tooling : ) I'll buy the blade and arbor together to I can have a good idea of the capabilities.

Do 1/8" endmills with 1.25"+ flute length exist? I would prefer to use a slitting saw also.

I don t think you d have any issues using an endmill to save the time and money to purchase the appropriate saw and arbour for an open slot in a Aluminum. Proper speeds and blow your chips but I Completely understand why you want to proceed the way you do.
Kb 58 I think your way off base here. There are plenty here with more than enough experience and quality equipment.
Yes they do exist. At times you need the reach a corner of a pocket or something but here you would just take your time since your not cutting a 1.25" depth in one shot even if the flutes don t reach the 1.25" depth. Good enough here! Blow your chips out and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Probably. I have a 3/8” end mill with about a 2" cutting length, which isn't quite as extreme. You'd definitely want carbide, though.

My experiences with sitting saws have been unpleasant. The thin ones I've used had a bad tendency to bind.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back