Slop in clutch on 12" Logan

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm wondering about cleaning or 'rebuilding' my apron on my 12". I have no idea when it was last cleaned. The only issue I have is when I engage the feed clutch there is quite a bit of slop before it starts to feed. Is that something I should be concerned about? Is it something I can fix?

The slop is not in the clutch, it's in the entire gear train, not just limited to the apron. Every part that turns to drive the carriage has wear, and it takes some time for it all to catch up to take up the slack. Unless you wanted to to do a complete rebuild, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cleaning certainly won't hurt, but if it's working and not making any excessive noise and the clutch stays engaged the entire length of travel.....I wouldn't worry about it.

Sounds good. What type of oil should it have and where do I top it off?

I just use SAE 80-90 gear lube. There has to be place on the apron somewhere, either a Gits oiler, or a spring ball oiling point. If you look close, there is probably a drain plug on the bottom.

This clutch may be similar, let you know what you are getting into;

Cleaning and oiling won't hurt, it's where I'd start. But may not fix it either.

An unresponsive clutch can be an adjustment issue. Or lack of lubrication to the clutch assembly. Or it can be wear on some of the components, most likely the engagement ring thingy with the little ridges and mating piece with the troughs. Or as mentioned, it can be the entire powertrain has worn some.

On mine, the clutch wouldn't engage right away, and also wouldn't dis-engage. So I had to go in and do something.

I'm wondering about cleaning or 'rebuilding' my apron on my 12". I have no idea when it was last cleaned. The only issue I have is when I engage the feed clutch there is quite a bit of slop before it starts to feed. Is that something I should be concerned about? Is it something I can fix?

I bought a 12" Logan Powermatic several years ago and completely tore it down, cleaned it and replaced broken parts. There were a few gears missing teeth and whatnot. You can certainly adjust the clutch. It's a chore, but if you take your time, watch that video above, and have the manual it isn't too bad.

Back