Slowing down my drill press

iron man

Active User
Registered
Until I can afford a different one my drill press was just to fast so I thought I would make a pulley for it and slow it down. It is a five step pulley so I had a small piece of 4 inch T6 aluminum so I chucked it up and started to work. I will post the pic's.. Ray

100_0897.JPG

After cutting all the steps I sharpened a cutter to fit the stock pulleys and started to cut grooves.

100_0897.JPG

100_0898.JPG

I cut all five at a pretty good rate the cutter I sharped just required to go in at the correct depth. So much for the (You cannot take a heavy cut on an Atlas lathe) This was a very heavy cut without vibration or any problem. Ray

100_0898.JPG

100_0899.JPG

Then I started to hog out a hole getting ready to bore for bearings.

100_0899.JPG

100_0901.JPG

Here it is all done bored ready to press a couple of bearings in. I then made a shaft and a small bracket that will allow the idler pulley to swing.

100_0901.JPG

100_0903.JPG

Here it is mounted works great. It slowed it down quite a bit this should help and as soon as I can find a big enough motor I am going to change the motor to a DC variable speed just like I did with the Atlas Lathe.

100_0903.JPG

So the cutter you made cuts the groove all in one pass? That's a stout cut for sure. Very nice!

The idlers in all the (cheapish) drill presses I have ever owned seem to be a weak link in the drive train. The stamped-steel brackets get tweaked and start to bind due to the lateral forces with different belt positions. Did you machine the bracket too?

So the cutter you made cuts the groove all in one pass? That's a stout cut for sure. Very nice!

The idlers in all the (cheapish) drill presses I have ever owned seem to be a weak link in the drive train. The stamped-steel brackets get tweaked and start to bind due to the lateral forces with different belt positions. Did you machine the bracket too?

Yes I made the arm out of 11/2 x 1/2 CR and the shafts ot of stressproof it isnt going anywhere. Thanks Ray

It is talent and ingenuity like this that made our manufacturing base so successful during the early days of metalworking.

Back