Small tap holder

Larry$

Registered
Registered
I made this small tap holder out of two rusty railroad spikes. Meant to accommodate several different sizes of taps. Two pins maintain alignment. Pins are press fit into one half, slip fit in other. Two M6 button head SS screws clamp the parts. V notches were just cut by clamping @ 45° in the mill vice. I polished the handles with abrasive cloth up to 600 grit, while setup on the lathe. The squarish section was polished using a p7 deburring wheel. I really like that thing, except that it throws grit all over the place. (next shop project, a hood.) A 1 X 8 wheel cost about $15.

My first try at cold bluing. Two applications of Brinell's cold blue, hand buffed with 0000 steel wool. Wiped a little way oil on for storage.

Attachments

• cropped Bare metal assembled_9963.JPG
    cropped Bare metal assembled_9963.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Cropped Disassmbled Tap Wrench_9959.JPG
    Cropped Disassmbled Tap Wrench_9959.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Cropped Blued _9973.JPG
    Cropped Blued _9973.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 34
Very nice! I've not seen that design before -- is it your own or borrowed from somewhere else? I like it :encourage:

-frank

is it your own or borrowed from somewhere else? I like it
I think something like it was used a long time ago, before the now typical sort of collet like design.
I've got a couple of the collet style, but they don't hold the very small taps well. They also add to the required Z axis when trying to use a tap follower on the mill. My tap follower will fit into the V slot of this one, opposite of the tap.

I've learned to do several drawings and then sleep on it before choosing a design. The original one was just for the smallest taps. Then decided I could do two sets of V notches so I could go up to a 6mm tap. @ 5.5" long there is plenty of torque available. An added bonus, that I hadn't considered, is there is enough weight that I can give it a fling and it will spin most of the way out of the tapped hole.

My first plan was to make knurled brass screws to clamp. Reconsidered thinking they would have to be too large to get enough force. Tried socket head cap screws, didn't like the look. Like the look of the SS button head screws and now that I've played around with it I can finger turn them and then just use the Allen wrench for the last turn.

Ditto. Very Nice! I too have some spikes laying around looking for something to make with them.

I've got a couple of the collet style, but they don't hold the very small taps well.
Many collet style tap wrenches have an internal step which will seat a smaller tap. My two wrenches (one small and one medium sized) from my 80's Craftsman tap and die set will both securely seat taps as small 0-80 and M1.2-.25mm. I have several others that will also seat taps as small as 0-80.

Irwin makes a tap wrench that seats taps as small as 0-80. https://www.amazon.com/Hanson-1766068-T-Handle-Wrench-Extraction/dp/B00FQ5BBFM It holds the tap securely but is a bit clunky for use with those delicate taps so I tend to go with my old Craftsman wrench instead. The Irwin wrench and its bigger brother are nice for larger taps as the Tee handle can be removed and a 3/8" ratchet wrench can be used to drive the tap or if you're really looking for more torque, a 1" box. wrench. I also made an extended travel tap follower to seat in the 3/8" socket.

Back