Smallest T-handle tap wrench

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
looking for a small t-handle tap wrench. one that will hold a 3-48 tap just bought a Irwin brand that claims 0 to 1/4. no way it will hold the 3-48 tap. the tap measures .110 across the flats. any help

What kind of jaws does yours have?

I have 2 inexpensive ones with collet style jaws. Past the primary jaws is where they can hold smaller taps. They'll hold my smallest 0-80 tap which has a 7/64" square (across the flats). Most of my smaller taps have that square size like yours.

The ones with 2 dynamic jaws with the V cut in them like Starrett don't have that feature.

I don't think you'd want to use a t-handle for a tap that small. You're going to break it. More likely one of the knurled knob style like the one Joe Pie uses. Or make one of the handles he showed on his channel.

well, i searched thru my "stuff" and found a Bay State t-11 tap wrench. goes small enough for a 3-48 tap. when i was gunsmithing shotguns i drilled and tapped many 3-56 threads for front beads on shotguns. however, the metal thickness was the thickness of a shotgun barrel or rib. if it were thicker, there may have been issues with breakage. i used a starrett small straight tap wrench. thanks so much for the Joe Pie tap holder idea. that's my next project.

I made a version of Joe Pie's tap wrench, I am very satisfied with it. It gives a good feel of the tap, much better than you get with a regular T handle tap wrench.

Most T handle tap wrenches have an internal step for holding small taps. Open the jaws and insert the tap deeper to engage the step. My wrenches will hold taps as small as 0-80 and M1.2-.25mm (my smallest).

i use a 1/4" jacobs chuck on a 5/8" straight arbor for 8-32 and smaller. Gives a nice feel and it seems a little easier to eyeball the tap straight too.

Back