Snowshoes!

sadly no progress, work and family stuff took up all of last weekend and I'm off for an interview this weekend so it's 16h days to do my job and prepare for the interview! Fingers'n'toes crossed!

interview didn't work out so well, but now it's Spring Break and I grabbed some time to work on the snow shoes! Finished one completely and used that to cut the patterns for the others so they went much faster. Just have to lace up the remaining 3 and we're done!

IMG_4671.JPG IMG_4672.JPG IMG_4673.JPG IMG_4674.JPG IMG_4676.JPG

cleats were made out of some random brackets a friend at work gave me, all the bolts and most of the washers were salvage from various things I've stripped down (the ss bolts were from a laser spectrometer!) and obviously the black stuff was from a treadmill belt. No steel reinforcement that I could determine, just fiber and rubber. Perhaps the steel containing one was from a pro grade machine?

Anyway, the belting arrangement, although fiddly, should hold the boot well. I'll lace 'em up before leaving and get the kids to step into and out of them, to save fiddling with them in the snow. Speaking of which, there's still some left (another friend went up last weekend and snow camped in a snow shelter!) so we'll head up this Sunday and try them out!

Sorry the hear the interview didn't go well.:( But the snowshoes are looking good! :encourage:

No worries, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Doesn't matter how good you do, if someone else does that little bit better, or has another paper published, or doesn't require visa sponsorship, or isn't (and this is more of a stretch) a white male in a white male dominated industry, then they get the offer and you don't. Anyway, I have another interview, which I should be preparing for now :), on Friday in central PA just down the road from where I lived before. Fingers crossed I'll know by the end of next week.

As for the snowshoes, I'm totally pumped to try them out with the kids, I think they'll have a blast! It's always fun to start with a pile of materials and an idea, then end up with something useful :)

that didn't take long :)

IMG_4682.JPG
new ones on the left, a borrowed pair in the middle and the original DIY pair my wife bought off CL that started this whole thing :) All in, including the original pair, the poles and the materials, total cost was ~$30
IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4718.JPG IMG_4722.JPG

snowshoes worked a treat! Admittedly it was fairly hard packed due to the warmth, but they still helped. Have to wait to next winter (if we're still here) to try them in fluffy powder.

Back