So , another decade gone . Do you remember ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Y2K . 20 years ago . Where does the time go ?

I had just resigned my position as Master Machinist / Programmer at a DOD plant now owned by Textron and started a new position at Unilever as a maintenance machinist . I accepted after 3 years of offers from Lever , tough decision as I was at the top pay level at *** . I instantly doubled my yearly income with the available and forced overtime . 15 years , 7 nights a week with Unilever and the overtime paid my houses off , put my 3 children thru college with BAs ( 2 went on for their masters ) . Never did I think I would own a dog , own property up in the Adirondacks , or drive a big sized pickem up truck .

I think back now that time spent at work was what I was born for . Work hard and reap the rewards . What I find these days are days off and spent with my family and friends cannot be replaced by working OT . I'm just not going to sell my sole to the company any longer .

This week , I have joined in the ADK forum up in NY and also registered with YouTube to upload films , I cannot tell you how many valuable pictures I have lost on photobucket etc . I plan on chronicalizing (sp) on the tube for progress being made up in NY , the shops , my 3 Shelties etc .

I posted this for our younger members . Once you learn the trade with hands on experience , you can move anywhere and make a somewhat decent living . Good machinist and mechanics are in high demand .

I wish you all a Happy New Year , a profitable 2020 , and happiness in all future endevours (sp) .

I took NYE off and will be spending it at the local dive bar with my wife and children and their SOs . Roast beef platters , fried oyster platters and FFs are on tap as well as 4 pool tables and good conversation .

Happy New Year to all ! :)

Just like the beginning of the century began in 2001, the beginning of the 'roarin' 20's will begin in 2021. But thanks for the sentiment anyway!

Seems decades are roughly the measure of life & career phases. I got married 30 years ago. Spent roughly the first 10 years in training, and roughly the next 10 years as a surgeon in the Army. Then roughly the next 10 years in academia. But two years ago I switched to full time at the VA working a normal 40 hour week instead of 60 - 80 like I did the previous 20 years. Man, what a difference. Reconnecting with my wife and family, having time for things I enjoy outside of work... there is a season for working hard, saving and getting out of debt. But dont let that season extend so long that you miss out on life itself.

Happy new year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy new year to all. 20 years ago I was just 22 years old and nearing the end of my apprenticeship as a automotive machinist and thought I knew everything there is to know about EVERYTHING........boy was I wrong. :laughing: Still not sure about anything.

Back then I was dreaming of having my own business,never knowing that it would happen only about 11 years later. It's not big and it is from home and I had to after my motorcycle accident but I love making chips and shaping a lump of metal into something useful. I know I will never be rich,but God has blessed me with happiness and gave me another chance in life.

Best wishes for a great new year to all!

Jeez... December of Y2k I got a pink slip along with a few others at the CNC shop. I wanted to learn machining to get me away from the shovel and dump truck, but in that industry all it takes is one customer to pull out and send all the guys who lack seniority home for unenjoyment checks. So I had a flash of insight at 24 years old: Hey, since I'm already getting yelled at by jerkwads for low wage, I may as well join the Army and get yelled at by jerkwads while doing cool Rambo stuff and pay for an education while I'm at it. So, I did that. So much has happened since, but I won that gamble, because the Army turned out to be the best decision I ever made. Now I've got great wife, three properties, and a great big shop that will be complete this spring. This is going to be an awesome decade.

I'm only a little over 3/4 of a century now and seen quite a few new yearses. Most of em were good times too.

To all of you I wish a safe, healthy and hardy news year. (and as noted above you'll have to wait another year for the new decade. You have to blame it on the Romans who didn't have a zero in their numbering system and so the calendar started out on year one ( I ) not the year zero or something like that.

Back