So I bought a Mighty Mag- now, how do I use it?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
So I was putting in an order with Enco, and saw a Mighty Mag for $11. I had heard you guys talk about them, so, being me, I figured to pick one up, "just in case".

But what do I use it for?

If you guys have some photos to illustrate- that would be awesome.

Thanks.

Nelson

;D ;D :) :) Typical "tool enthusiast" just get one of each I'll use it sometime,..somewhere ;) ;) ;) I've done the same and I even own a mighty mag myself and have never used it ?!?!?!? (at least that I can remember??) I went out to the shop to try to accommodate you with some pics but couldn't find the right size rod to mount my indicator on :-[ :-[ . It is basically another magnetic mount for your indicators and here's hoping someone else can post some pics. Pretty basic operation; stick it on a metal surface with your indicator mounted on a rod held in the Mighty-Mag at the desired angle/orientation to indicate that item you happen to be working on. The Mighty-Mag is simply the magnetic base, you have to supply your own indicator and mounting rods.
~Chris

they make good sketch and print holders....

i've taped them on boring bars to reduce chatter in a lathe...

mount a 1inch travel dial in it and use it for a depth gauge on the carriage in a lathe..

i've used them to check reamer runout in mills..

if your milling on a part, they work well to use them for a visual position check.... same 1" travel dial indicator, slide it up against the part your milling on so you have an indicator to detect movement of the part while your milling on it...

Back