So I got bored this evening

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all, This has been on my list of things to do so this evening when I got held up on other projects I decided what the hell. So the here’s what im thinking. I would like to find and install some decent bearings, maybe angular contact? I would like to find or make a new drawbar because this is some Chinese junk I’m working with here. Would also like to address any other issues I see while in here.
Figured I would take some pictures so you guys that don’t know can see the inner workings of a true Chinese piece of #*%* milling machine

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1596.jpeg
    IMG_1596.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 80
Hello all, This has been on my list of things to do so this evening when I got held up on other projects I decided what the hell. So the here’s what im thinking. I would like to find and install some decent bearings, maybe angular contact? I would like to find or make a new drawbar because this is some Chinese junk I’m working with here. Would also like to address any other issues I see while in here.
Figured I would take some pictures so you guys that don’t know can see the inner workings of a true Chinese piece of #*%* milling machine
A few more pics of the spindle setup

Attachments

• IMG_1599.jpeg
    IMG_1599.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1598.jpeg
    IMG_1598.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 27
Nice vise though...

Your mill looks a lot like mine except your column seems wider but not as deep. I'm also on the hunt for a replacement drawbar. Might have to make one. My mill is still chugging along after more than a decade, making parts. Good bang for the buck. The head makes some funny noises from time to time so maybe it is time to shovel out the gunk for me too.

Will be watching your adventure.

Nice vise though...

Your mill looks a lot like mine except your column seems wider but not as deep. I'm also on the hunt for a replacement drawbar. Might have to make one. My mill is still chugging along after more than a decade, making parts. Good bang for the buck. The head makes some funny noises from time to time so maybe it is time to shovel out the gunk for me too.

Will be watching your adventure.
Yea, I have been getting noise as well. Mainly when I take deeper cuts, there’s a kind of rattle that come out of the gear box. Hoping to find the cause of that as well. The biggest reason for me doing. This is that when I’m milling something wide and have to take more than one pass, side by side, I’m getting a small step. That’s with the head trimmed in perfectly. So something is moving

Yes. The rattle under load, exactly. I have a small step when face milling but I think it is that the column is not trammed well on mine and shims would be required. It has never been enough to actually do anything about it though.

While the spindle may be in tram to the table, the Y ways may not be in tram with the vertical ways. This means that the table will move up or down as it travels toward or away from the column.

While the spindle may be in tram to the table, the Y ways may not be in tram with the vertical ways. This means that the table will move up or down as it travels toward or away from the column.
Hmmm, have not thought of that. I can alway mount an indicator and check it I guess. One thing I have not done is level the machine, so I guess there could also be twist in the bed.

Yes. The rattle under load, exactly. I have a small step when face milling but I think it is that the column is not trammed well on mine and shims would be required. It has never been enough to actually do anything about it though.
Well hopefully I can find the source of the rattle and save you some headache. I have searched on here for these types of mills and can’t really find much so hopefully what I’m doing will help you and other as well

This is the situation I seem to have.

had time to make a little progress this evening. Got the spindle remove from the quill. Didn’t run into any trouble. As far as the nut goes, it takes some kind of a spinner wrench or socket however I was able to put it in a vise and tap it lightly with a hammer and she turned loose. Nothing to fussy. Next I will try to get the bearing races pressed out of the quill and take some measurements to see what my options are as far as replacement bearings go. I’m a little worried that it’s going to be some odd ball size though. Hoping to find a set of angular contact bearing to replace the taper bearing but we will see what I come up with

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpeg
    IMG_1608.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    469.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg