Soft Steel Bar

Armourer

Registered
Registered
Hey all, as you can tell I am new to machining and have a quick question for all the more experienced ones out there. I have been practicing turning Aluminum on my lathe and have been able to create some pretty nice parts, but now I want to step up to start turning steel and was wondering what I should buy to practice on? What steel bar stock is easy to machine? Thanks all.

+2 on 12L14
i bought a bunch of hex stock in the major sizes from 1/4- 1-1/2" and some 17mm too, awhile back.
it is great to use with a 3 jaw chuck ;)

+3 on 12L14. It was the 2nd metal I turned, aluminum being the 1st. Made me think I was better at turning than I really am. ;)

Tom

1215 is the unleaded version of 12L14; it doesn't turn as nice but is still easy to machine. 1144 Stressproof also machines nicely but does work harden if you stall much in the cut. The nicest steel of all to machine is printer rod from old printers - accurately ground, machines like butter and most of it is some kind of stainless steel. Best of all, it's free!

Is "Ledloy" a trade name for 12L14?

FYI
12L14 Rusts very easily must be coated/painted/plated

+1 on the printer rollers. The worst job I ever had was repairing printers and copy machine but the fuser rollers did provide some good scrap for playing with. i still have about 30 fuser rollers left

My last order of 12L14 came from Amazon. It turned like bubble gum, like a cheap hardware store bolt. Then I noticed the sticker on it, said made in China! I sent the stuff back. It was a little shorter when I sent it back, they didn’t care…Dave.

Back