Sold the Logan - and now have to choose ....

Logan Novice

Registered
Registered
From restoration to general service the vintage Logan was a lot of fun for the past few years. But I have it sold.
Now trying to choose between the Shop Fox M1099 and the PM-1127VF-LB.
What say y'al ??

Attachments

• OneB.JPG
    OneB.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
From restoration to general service the vintage Logan was a lot of fun for the past few years. But I think I have it sold.
Now trying to choose between the Shop Fox M1099 and the PM-1127VF-LB.
What say y'al ??
Get the PM. The service alone from Matt is worth it.
The Shop Fox is too small too.

Please buy a 12x36 at least

I have the PM1127 and you have to change gears to do some threading.. and change them back again to feed rates. It's a serious pain.

Please buy a 12x36 at least

I have the PM1127 and you have to change gears to do some threading.. and change them back again to feed rates. It's a serious pain.

Yes, I wish they offered a fully selectable gear threading system. I had to change gears and/or gear positions for virtually every change in threading operations with the Logan. I am told that, even though some gear changes are necessary for threading with the PM1127, it isn't necessary to make those changes for every change in threading operations. Is that correct?

Why did you sell the Logan? What are you looking for in a new lathe that the Logan didn't give you?

Neither of the lathes listed seem to offer a lot of advantage over a 10" Logan (assuming since those are the most common), other than spindle bore particularly if it was a QCGB model. Edit I see your last post mentioned change gears so it sounds like yours didn't have a QCGB.

Yes, I wish they offered a fully selectable gear threading system. I had to change gears and/or gear positions for virtually every change in threading operations with the Logan. I am told that, even though some gear changes are necessary for threading with the PM1127, it isn't necessary to make those changes for every change in threading operations. Is that correct?

No, but you have to change the gears back to feed when you're done threading.

If you put together a set of gears on the banjo, it gives you 3 different thread pitches. So you have to put them together depending on what thread you need to make.

Why did you sell the Logan? What are you looking for in a new lathe that the Logan didn't give you?

Neither of the lathes listed seem to offer a lot of advantage over a 10" Logan (assuming since those are the most common), other than spindle bore particularly if it was a QCGB model. Edit I see your last post mentioned change gears so it sounds like yours didn't have a QCGB.
Yes, that's correct. My Logan was a circa 1940 model that was made by Logan for Montgomery Ward. It was a well made lathe, rugged and accurate. But, even though I had a complete set of nearly new change gears, it did require that the gears be changed for EVERY different threading operation. Even though some of the newer lathes below 12 inches require some amount of gear changes for threading operations, they have a higher level of selectivity, broader selection of spindle speeds (the Logan was limited to six speeds 45 - 1300 rpm) and left hand threading options that the Logan didn't offer.

Last edited:
My G4003G can cut 40 inch threads and 29 metric threads.
All of the inch threads are cut from the same set of change gears {40-86-40}. I have not even changed the change gears in my 2.7 years of ownership.

Back