Sold the Logan - and now have to choose ....

My G4003G can cut 40 inch threads and 29 metric threads.
All of the inch threads are cut from the same set of change gears {40-86-40}. I have not even changed the change gears in my 2.7 years of ownership.

:encourage:The G4003G was among my initial choices ... but I don't have 220 anywhere near the spot where I'd have to locate the lathe.

:encourage:The G4003G was among my initial choices ... but I don't have 220 anywhere near the spot where I'd have to locate the lathe.

You might look at the Precision Matthews 1228. Only a little longer than the 1127, and just a couple hundred dollars more but it has a full quick change gear box. It can be wired to run on 120v.

If you are in a situation where you can't add a 240v outlet (renting) that is definitely a limitation of your choices. If that is not the case, then don't an outlet dictate your choice of lathe. The cost of having a 240v outlet installed professionally is tiny compared to the price of the lathe.

Wait! Hold on! What! You sold your Logan?!! I thought there was a law... :grin:

I'd go with the PM because as mentioned above, Matt's service can't be beat. (Even when you haven't bought from him...)

It cost me the sum of all the machines I bought {lathe, mill, band saw, table saw} to have my shop wired up for 220V.
At least 2/3rds of this was bringing the rest of the 70 YO building up to code.

Back