Soldering Joints??

Tamper84

Active User
Registered
I was out in the shop running wires for my newly revised RPC. Any who, I thought, it would be nice to have a 220 single phase outlet next to the 3 phase. Dont worry different plugs lol. So I go and get a junction box, a receptacle and a box. I picked up split bolts as well, but I am using 6 gauge wire for this. Its what I had on hand, got about 75 feet of the stuff lol. But, unfortunately, the split bolts are too small. So I gathered up everything to solder everything together, but stopped figuring I would ask you experts on your thoughts. I figure it cant hurt to be soldered together, and that split bolts are better then wire nut

Yes or no on the soldering? I know I will have to tape it, I have regular electrical tape and friction tape.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Before any one asks, these are running on a 100 amp circuit.

Soldering will work, assuming you are using copper, not aluminum, but is not accepted as standard practice for code requirements. If you are in a city where this is a concern, just go get the correct hardware. I personally would not solder joints on a circuit that large.

As a side note, you should never "tin" the ends of wires that are going in to screw clamp terminals. With heating and cooling, the solder will soften and change shape, potentially relaxing to the point of coming loose and arcing.

-Cody

Aaaahhh ok. I figured there was a reason I havent seen this before. I will pick up bigger split bolts tomorrow.

Thank you!!

Chris

I've soldered larger sized stranded before. I took some appropriate sized copper tubing and cut a short length and made a ferrule that would cover both wires as they were pushed into the tubing until they overlapped to the far end on each. I thoroughly brushed the inside of the tubing and dipped the ferrule and both wire ends and used a micro-torch with 60/40 solder. I used heat shrink on it and covered the splice. Looked nice and has been passing 50 amps with no heating at the splice for over a year. I wouldn't hesitate to do it on larger circuits if needed. Of course, Kearney bolts are much easier, faster, and everyone uses them. Back in the old days though, electricians soldered many joints, even the twisted wire that a wire nut was on, then taped it well.

Thanks guys. This connection will be hidden in the wall, so Im just going to get the right stuff and not worry about the solder heating and melting away. That's all I need is to burn down the shop lol.:nono:

Bill, thats what Im working on now. I have been released to work, so I have been working in the shop getting everything ready. I dont want to buy a compression ring lol.

Thanks,
Chris

Oh...hmmm, I could make it visible.... Ive seen that show like once. This was after I bought my house, I started looking around, I didnt watch that show again lol:lmao:

Chris

I was out in the shop running wires for my newly revised RPC. Any who, I thought, it would be nice to have a 220 single phase outlet next to the 3 phase. Dont worry different plugs lol. So I go and get a junction box, a receptacle and a box. I picked up split bolts as well, but I am using 6 gauge wire for this. Its what I had on hand, got about 75 feet of the stuff lol. But, unfortunately, the split bolts are too small. So I gathered up everything to solder everything together, but stopped figuring I would ask you experts on your thoughts. I figure it cant hurt to be soldered together, and that split bolts are better then wire nut

Yes or no on the soldering? I know I will have to tape it, I have regular electrical tape and friction tape.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Before any one asks, these are running on a 100 amp circuit.

Soldering should never be the primary means of getting an elecgtrical connection - especially one that carries large currents. In other words, you should have a strong mechanical connection before soldering. If you have this, then soldering is OK. There are correct and incorrect ways of soldering wires together. But, in your case, go to the hardware or home supply store and ask for "bug nuts." AKA split bolt nuts in the correct size.

John

Don't solder - use a mechanical connection. Joints have to be in approved boxes and there has to be access by code. Pick up a 4 inch box that's 3 1/2 inches deep and mount it flush with your wall surface. Use the appropriate metal cover plate and paint it to match the wall. If the look bugs you hang a picture. If you have to drill studs on the way to your destination keep the holes at least 1 1/2 inches in from the face of the stud or use nail plates. It sounds like your using individual 6 ga wires so pick up some Romex connectors for the box and tape the wires to protect them from chafe at the connector.

Back