Soldering Joints??

Soldering will work, assuming you are using copper, not aluminum, but is not accepted as standard practice for code requirements. If you are in a city where this is a concern, just go get the correct hardware. I personally would not solder joints on a circuit that large.

As a side note, you should never "tin" the ends of wires that are going in to screw clamp terminals. With heating and cooling, the solder will soften and change shape, potentially relaxing to the point of coming loose and arcing.

-Cody
2nd this I run a F16 electrical shop and its against spec to Tin ends and then put in a mechanical connection.

In our Grade 9 Electricity class, we were taught how to wrap, solder and tape electrical connections. The teacher was a bit behind the times. Mind you, I'm not saying how long ago that was. :lmao:

I'm surprised no one has commented on using 65 amp wire for a 100 amp circuit. I wouldn't do it. BTW, the company I work for has the slogan, "Holmes on Ohms."

Re: Soldering Joints?? Keep your fire insurance paid up

Please spend the money and get a licensed electrician to listen to your plans and follow there advice. Do it right and every thing will be alright. Do it wrong and it may be alright until several things happen at the same time, one of them the fire or electrocution. Lots of stuff can be shortcuted, but please do not do it with electricity. I have seen many shops and homes that burnt in twenty years as a fire investigator. Lots of them with electrical that should of worked but did not. Please do it right.

Re: Soldering Joints?? Keep your fire insurance paid up

Please spend the money and get a licensed electrician to listen to your plans and follow there advice. Do it right and every thing will be alright. Do it wrong and it may be alright until several things happen at the same time, one of them the fire or electrocution. Lots of stuff can be shortcuted, but please do not do it with electricity. I have seen many shops and homes that burnt in twenty years as a fire investigator. Lots of them with electrical that should of worked but did not. Please do it right.

After reading what you all have said, I called a buddy of mine. He is an electrican. So needless to say, I'm going to do some welding for him and he is going to wire this up for me. I would of liked to do it, but I can watch him and he is going to explain what's what. I do believe I can safely say I know enough to say I don't know lol

Chris

Well she is all hooked up and running!!! My buddy came over and showed me how to do it, then he took it back apart and told me to do. You only learn by doing :). So I do the same thing with his little welding project :lmao: Thanks all for the help.

Thanks,
Chris

Back in the old days we used to twist and solder joints all the time. A Kerosene torch was part of the electricians tool kit. But not anymore.

Why do you suppose that is?

If it was a good practice they would not have abandoned it.

All

I see I am late in reading this thread. Chris, I think you made one of the best decisions you have made in awhile. When It comes to Electricity, if you don't know what you are doing, well folks have died from fires started by poorly wired electrical systems. As a Building Inspector, I've assisted our Fire Department on several fires, very disturbing to be in a room where someone died. To see a place where where the bare copper is hanging and the fire plume goes right up from a J box, just hug your family and have everything checked by a qualified Electrician.

All the best.

Olin

when

Back