Solid Tool Post Riser for my 13"x40" lathe

After all that work, I'd definitely go for the safe approach. At least a brand new high quality tap, new appropriate sized wrench and great care.

I got the block mounted and centered in the 4 jaw this morning. Then I ran into the next snag. I usually tap anything 1/2” and smaller.
Apparently I don’t own an internal threading tool that will fit into the hole. The smallest one I have will fit into a 3/4” hole.

So, do I buy a bigger tap handle, a solid carbide internal threading tool, or a 3/8” indexable steel tool? I need to think this through.

Have you tried the spring loaded guides. Will had a picture up of it in use but I don't remember what thread. I have also run the tail stock up to the tap handle to square it up(or dead center). As I turn the tap handle, I advance the tail stock arbor to keep a little bit of pressure till it starts.
1592684651707.png

I got the block mounted and centered in the 4 jaw this morning. Then I ran into the next snag. I usually tap anything 1/2” and smaller.
Apparently I don’t own an internal threading tool that will fit into the hole. The smallest one I have will fit into a 3/4” hole.

So, do I buy a bigger tap handle, a solid carbide internal threading tool, or a 3/8” indexable steel tool? I need to think this through.
When I need to thread a hole too small for my bars I just make one to the specs I need from a hunk of O1. Turn the 60degree profile on the lathe then mill off a little more than half (for clearance). This gives you a front and back cutting edge. Take off the back cutting edge to get into a smaller hole. Heat cherry red and dunk in oil. I never temper. You can use round stock but I like square because it makes the zero rake angle easily repeatable. DSC_0774.JPGDSC_0794.JPG

Last edited:
I have a couple of the Fisher micro tap guides. I didn’t think it would be strong enough for this tap size.

I wound up using my live center to keep the tap straight. I needed a ton of leverage to cut the threads so I used a pair of Crescent wrenches. One on the tap and one on a chuck jaw. It still took most of my strength to get ‘er done.

1628f00540227c808a83d3a95b38c4d6.jpg

242f73c8b29c35fcc9cb670af3fcaa28.jpg

impressive work, looking forward to hearing what you think once you've installed it and taken it for a test run.

Was the 5/8-11 tap a standard hand tap or a spiral point tap? Another thing to remember is that you can go up a drill size for less thread depth if you have a lot of threads engaged. 50% thread depth would be fine given the length of the bolt you'll be using.

That's a great idea. I'll have to add some to my next McMaster Carr order.

When I need to thread a hole too small for my bars I just make one to the specs I need from a hunk of O1. Turn the 60degree profile on the lathe then mill off a little more than half (for clearance). This gives you a front and back cutting edge. Take off the back cutting edge to get into a smaller hole. Heat cherry red and dunk in oil. I never temper. You can use round stock but I like square because it make the zero rake angle easily repeatable.

impressive work, looking forward to hearing what you think once you've installed it and taken it for a test run.

Was the 5/8-11 tap a standard hand tap or a spiral point tap? Another thing to remember is that you can go up a drill size for less thread depth if you have a lot of threads engaged. 50% thread depth would be fine given the length of the bolt you'll be using.

Thanks Matt.

This was just a Irwin Hansen hand tap from Ace HW. As I was staining to get it to cut I kept thinking that a spiral point tap probably would have been a good purchase. I probably could have gone up one drill size, but I was lucky to find the 17/32" drill as it was. They didn't have a great selection. It should have 12 threads worth of engagement. I hope that will be enough to keep it from slipping. ;^)

Back