Soluble oil for “Noga” cool mist systems. What is your favorite?

WaneB

Registered
Registered
I’m wondering what solutions people like to run in their mist systems. Specifically the Noga mini mist.

Also if people use a specific mix and solution for spray or squeeze bottles. In other words, in small amounts on a mill or lathe.

thanks, WayneB

I've been happy with Kool Mist 77. LMS sells pint bottles cheap and they last a long time. I haven't tried other mist solutions though, so perhaps there is something better out there. I'm using the cheap import misters, they work well for me. The Noga sure looks nice though.

Wayne - are you talking about soluble oil or mist coolant? I sometimes spray a soluble oil mixture through my Noga Minicool when using the cutoff tool with power feed on the lathe.

I also use the mist coolants from Kool Mist.

Slow

DI water and Kool mist, 40:1. Simple and no stinky stank. Wipe down bare metal when you're done.

Wayne - are you talking about soluble oil or mist coolant? I sometimes spray a soluble oil mixture through my Noga Minicool when using the cutoff tool with power feed on the lathe.

I also use the mist coolants from Kool Mist.

Slow
Asking about both. A pint of Kool mist would probably last me a lifetime.

Soluble oil is something I would like to try, but haven’t ever used it myself. Just wondering what brands people are happy with so I don’t end up buying a lifetime supply of something that isn’t that great, or smells bad.

I use Kool Rite 2290 in a 1:10 dilution in a Fogbuster like system on my mill, I also used it previously on my metal bandsaw. It was the only coolant I tried that wouldn't go bad, and would last up to a year in the sump. I tried some others and it was not very pleasant. I get very good results with both steel and aluminum, I use a Noga coolant head but have both air and coolant running at low ir pressure (air around 25 PSI, Coolant 10 PSI and both have an adjustment needle valve for flow). I use dual air solenoids so both sides shut off when the coolant is off, it is setup more like sputtering coolant as opposed to misting. I have not had any issues with rusting, but I use a high ratio (10%) of 2290 to water. They also have a non-oil synthetic SynMax 2515/2525, which I haven't used. I bought a gallon of 2290 years ago and still have quite a bit left. Use to be some eBay sellers that sold it by the gallon, but not anymore. Lathe I use cutting oil with a dispenser oil can. I have not had any metal staining issues with the Kool Rite but have had it with anchor lube and a few other coolants/cutting oil. If I recall I used Rustlick coolant previously and it was pretty poor, it went bad in 3 months and also caused rusting on my bandsaw.

One note of concern is that there is always some degree of respiratory inhalation and skin contact with these coolants, and over time that can cause health issues. I am not sure I would want to use a mist system in an area that wasn't well vented.

Asking about both. A pint of Kool mist would probably last me a lifetime.

Soluble oil is something I would like to try, but haven’t ever used it myself. Just wondering what brands people are happy with so I don’t end up buying a lifetime supply of something that isn’t that great, or smells bad.
Wayne - the water soluble oil goes a long way but the drawback is that the smallest size container I've seen near here is 5 gallons. Try the mist type coolants first. Then try getting a machine shop to sell you a bit of the oil if the mist coolant doesn't work out. I use it in the the Noga Minicool where it doesn't spray everywhere. It does have an odor. Hope that helps you.

Slow

Back