[Solved] Moving the Ram

She's free!

Did you get the pinion out yet? If so, will you be able to get the broken handle out do you think?

Here's the blow-by-blow of un-sticking my ram a few years ago.

Last edited:
Mine was stuck too, I don't think it had ever been moved. I used a porta power between the column and back end of the head. Only needed the tiniest of little nudges to get it moving enough to get some way oil working into it and I could do the rest with the lever. I'd have ripped the lever off if that's all I'd tried, I'm sure. Moves with the merest hint of a nudge when unlocked now, and I use it all the time to reposition the head when I've got dividing head, vise and rotary table on the table. Definitely one of the more useful features of a turret mill!

Did you get the pinion out yet? If so, will you be able to get the broken handle out do you think?

I got the pinion out, yep. Still cant get the ram to hit it's back limit. It's pretty crusty in there. Got the turret pulled with the ram on it. Probably will prove to be a dumb move since it's easier to whack/pry on that thing when it's on the body. Easy enough to pick it up and re-install if needed.

One thing stuck with me about your post... "did you get the pinion out yet?". Got me thinking, maybe that pinion is the reason I felt the 'hard stop' on the end of travel that was free. Logically, that would make sense. The ram cant exactly pull out if the pinion is still meshed with the rack. So I moved it to that 'hard stop' and then pulled the pinion. Then lifted it up to help me slide it off the end. BINGO! Ram is now free from turret and I'm pretty much done with the tear down. Now to clean, paint, and put it back together. I'm thinking of a gloss black with red lettering....is this sac-religious for a BP?

I think i'll start by stripping and re-finishing all of the lower and move upwards to the turret/ram with the head being last. Will allow me to get my garage back in order to have a clean/clear work environment for the head and I can bolt it down to my table. Got the table and the saddle already sitting out in a kiddie sandbox with a cover (neighbor hand-me-down) so I can start with them. Plan is to clean/degrease outside in the plastic sandbox and then move them in to my work table to polish and de-bur the machined surfaces.

Anyhow, here's some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2198.jpeg
    IMG_2198.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2199.jpeg
    IMG_2199.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2201.jpeg
    IMG_2201.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
That colour scheme sounds lovely, it'll certainly be quite unique.

I'm thinking of a gloss black with red lettering....is this sac-religious for a BP?

It is yours!
You are saving it and investing time, effort and funds.
You can paint it flourescent pink, and I'd still want to follow along and see it!

-brino

It is yours!
You are saving it and investing time, effort and funds.
You can paint it flourescent pink, and I'd still want to follow along and see it!

-brino

If I were to chronicle that....where would it go? The project forums?

It could continue right here in the Bridgeport and clones forum.
...or in the members projects area here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/members-projects-post-your-projects-here.193/

Don't worry, we're not to formal about it.....and I believe the moderators can move them if you decide it really needs to be moved.

-brino

Decided to crank up a post here...

Back