Some FIMS#2 QCTP holders

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
bought a FIMS#2 tool post for my South Bend heavy 9 as I once had one and foolishly sold it as I had a tiny lathe at the time :( They're really neat, with 3 possible positions and the dovetail pulls the holder against the tool post body, so it's very rigid.

Anyway, did a couple of test holders first to get the dimensions sorted
IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

then I got started on the main "blank". I think it was a former loader fork or something similar that snapped (!!!) off and ended up at the scrapyard. It's 1 1/2" thick by about >< and about <> and weighed 80lb according to the scale. Cost me $20 or thereabouts.

Turns out a trash can with some bits of wood on top wasn't a very good outboard support
IMG_0001.JPG

but a new bandsaw blade later (!) I got a 15" long chunk cut off. The found out that it didn't fit upright in my saw :) Cut off 3 blanks and now it fit
IMG_0003.JPG

ta da!
IMG_0014.JPG

proceeded to clean up the other end. Blade jammed while I was having dinner = a belt burned through and a garage full of smoke. Fitted a spare link belt, went to do something else and the blade snapped. Looks like it lost its set and was cutting crooked. Wasn't all that impressed with that blade anyway..

while I was waiting for a new blade to come from Amazon I got to work on one of the blanks I cut off. Couple of hours(ish) later and...

some bandsaw work later and I now have 2 "sticks" and a bunch of blanks to turn into holders. Remaining piece of steel now only weighs 30lb or so :)
IMG_0057.JPG

Back