Some Good, Some Bad, Some Just Strange!!

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yesterday, I posted about my very happy dealings with Rocky Mountain CNC, we have had dealings with certain companies, that have ranged from good, to inconvenient, to down right terrible. I have a list of about 5 companies, that unless, all else fails, that I avoid like the plague, dealing with them vs a root canal, colonoscopy or IRS audit, would be a toss up. Like most things in life, some people swear by a vendor and others swear at them, it seems to be the luck of the draw.

My day job is an industrial boiler service tech, doing routine service, new boiler start ups, burner and control upgrades, for a couple of different companies, for going on 45+ yrs. I also do all of the company’s fabrication, construction and piping, I made parts for obsolete equipment still in use, burner adapter plates, stack dampers, conveyors and other equipment. The parent company, owns 5 other service companies and 12-15 other businesses, I make parts for most of them. It use to be about 90% field work and about 10% work in the shop. Over the last 5-6 yrs that ratio has changed to closer to 60% field and 40% shop.

The company pays for all of the consumables, a vast majority of the tooling and whatever else, is needed. One of the owners asked a question about a series of parts, that need to be done shortly and asked if there was anything I needed.The wrong question to ask a guy doing machining, I told him I could use a milling machine head assembly (Bridgeport J head clone), just so say something. He asked roughly how much, I said depending on the brand, options and availability, as high as $3500. He nodded and said interesting and walked away. On Tuesday, he called and said, buy what you want/need and throw it on the company credit card.

So I started to look, after some searching, I found exactly what I was looking for, a new clone head assembly, 2 hp, 240vac single phase, 16 speeds and R8. I called the supplier, located in California, we talked for about 5 minutes, I asked the price, with delivery and freight to Syracuse NY, I was quoted $2795, to my door, with a 3 yr warranty. So I had my credit card in my hot little hand, ready to go ahead, he starts to fill out the paperwork, then suddenly stops. The company policy is they will not sell to a home shop individual, no company name, no business certificate, no sale. I asked to speak to the owner, he stated the same thing and was not about to deviate from there policy. I said, I just have it delivered to the company building, he implied I was trying to circumvent their policies, no sale, said good bye and hung up.

I did not realize business was good enough, they could turn a $2800 sale away, but apparently it is. I call another company, some where in the Chicago area, basically the same product, about 5-10% more, but had no issues selling it to me. Should be here in 2-3 weeks. I found the whole episode just plain strange.

There are many automotive suppliers that are the same way. Must have business license / tax number to buy from them. My wife has the same thing with some of her textile / sewing / embroidery suppliers. I keep my home business license active mainly for this reason. Medical issues have gotten in the way of the business, but being able to have wholesale accounts without any hassles is worth the $50 it costs to keep the license current.

Years ago Grainger did the same .

McMaster Carr years ago was the same way. Looks like they saw the light. I run into this quite a bit when purchasing supplies for the farm. I just figure it's their loss. I doesn't happen as much as it used to. Walked out of Century wheel when they wouldn't sell replacement wheels. Don't think I would ever do business with them. I don't see that attitude as much now days . I can understand why wholesalers would not want to by pass their distributors,but they usually will refer you to their distributors.

There are many automotive suppliers that are the same way. Must have business license / tax number to buy from them. My wife has the same thing with some of her textile / sewing / embroidery suppliers. I keep my home business license active mainly for this reason. Medical issues have gotten in the way of the business, but being able to have wholesale accounts without any hassles is worth the $50 it costs to keep the license current.

Many times I have wished for a business tax ID number but always felt that it would be a pain the rear as far as taxes are concerned. Since I am now retired, my taxes are very basic. How does this affect ones taxes to have a "business"?

All tools and expenses were tax deductible when I was in business . I never made a profit due to buying tools . Now a days , I don't know .

I can assure you their policy is the result of hard won experience. There are some things I have to run through my business while other suppliers don't care at all.

It may be that this company just isn't set-up to take sales tax or some such thing, glad you found what you needed.

John

My latest issue of that sort was with Fastenal.ca

Wanted some parts, they were on their web site, but web site doesn't show pricing.
Okay so maybe I just need to create an account, right?
Wrong, the account creation requires you to submit a request to your local dealer, okay no problem.

He emails me back with prices of a couple items that I asked about specifically.
I am willing to pay what they're asking, I'd even pad the order with some other sizes to have spares on hand.
However without a business number I cannot get a web account to see prices myself and buy online.

So I'd hafta use their website like a catalog (but without prices), write down all the numbers of what I want to make a list, call them for prices, decide on the phone if I'm willing to pay that price, just to get them to order it!?!? Ridiculous!

Frac them!

-brino

Many times I have wished for a business tax ID number but always felt that it would be a pain the rear as far as taxes are concerned. Since I am now retired, my taxes are very basic. How does this affect ones taxes to have a "business"?

I set my business up as a hedge bet on the uncertain future of the day job. It was kind of a stretch of the hobby in to a night and weekend job. Real life and the big C made the day job outlast my ambitions. I make sure the business files a small profit (<$1K) each year. I don't write off tools and such, because then I would have to pay business property tax on them the following years. Just kinda low key, trying to not raise any flags.

You can do LLC's without much hassle, I did mine without a lawyer; the local gov business office was quite helpful. And the wife did her own with a little bit of guidance from me (mostly prodding along). At this point it costs me $50 for the license, and <$20 personal property each year. Oh, and Turbotax home and business, but we need that to handle some weird trust funds.

I can understand not wanting to sell small lots. I can understand not wanting to do the accounting paperwork of one-off and sales tax. I can especially understand not wanting to sell to the less-than-knowledgeable that will chew up a ton of salesman time, then break the item and expect retail return service. The one I do have a problem with is not selling to anyone without a major PO account. I see that a lot in this area.

One time I was in Graingers store and they would not sell to me as a non-business. I left and then ordered the part from Graingers online with store pickup went back into the same store that had turned me down and picked up my part. Sometimes we live in a crazy world.

Back