Some Good, Some Bad, Some Just Strange!!

State sales tax is the main reason.

We needed to buy computer parts for state equipment.

Vendor did same, price and shipping but no sale.

If we provide reseller permit then sale.

They do not want to mess with collecting and processing sales tax due to new rules so they sell "taxable" items via resellers.

Ask the vendor who their distributor is or provide a resale number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Brino: That's strange since I have a Fastenal just down the street and have never had that problem. Even ordering just a couple dozen tiny screws online.
Speaking of Fastenal, Clausing will not sell parts to Cali unless you order them thru Fastenal. Won't sell to Ca. customers directly. Don't know the reason.
-Mark

Last edited:
Was driving by a Fastenal store and remembered I needed some u bolts. Went inside and found them then was told I couldn't buy because I wasn't a business. I steer clear of any Fastenal products now.

This will probably vary state by state since sales tax laws in the US are a state function. I had no problem buying at a Fastenal store in Michigan, haven't tried in California yet though.

John

If you've never had a state resale license and had to deal with the paperwork involved consider yourself lucky. I'm looking into starting a new business and how/who to sell to will be a major consideration.

John

Back