Some Hair Brained Idea Questions

speedre9

Active User
Registered
Can pillow block type bearings be put directly on the shank of an E16 style extended collet?
I have seen some with locking collars recently and got a brain storm. My sewing machine motor has a small pulley on approx.1.00" dia.. I am assuming the r.p.m.'s at around 8000, so, if I double the dia. of the pulley on the shaft I should see approx. 16K r.p.m.'s, correct?, making it a 2:1 ratio.
So with that in mind, the idea is to use a 0.50" E16 extended collet as a spindle shaft mounted to two pillow 0.50" bearings, driven by the sewing machine motor. I am using mainly styrene, wax, and light density urethane mold boards. Never any metals with this configuration. Does this sound doable or am I dreaming. Comment please.

The ones you have seen with locking collars are self centering on the shaft. Take the collar off one and you will see it rides on an eccentric. With the collar locked to the shaft only it allows the shaft to find it's own center.

"Billy G"

Without looking, I'm not too sure about a pillow block bearing holding up to 16,000 rpm.

A motor with a 1-inch pulley at 8000 RPM, will drive a shaft with a 2-inch pulley at 4000 RPM.

4000 RPM is still pretty fast for the relatively inexpensive bearings in pillow blocks. Not sure how long they would hold up at that speed.

It sounds to me that he is putting a 2" dia pulley on his sewing machine shaft which would be spinning the other shaft with the er unit on it at 16K --depending on the size of the pulley he uses on the second shaft----anyway I agree that pillow blk brngs are probably more for about 3.6 to 4k max. ---maybe some pictures could help us answer his questions better----Dave:thinking:

Last edited:
Depends on the quality of the pillow block bearings. The rpms could be potentially too high for the bearings internals and result in early failure or even catastrophic failure if not inspected regularly. The rest of the device you wish to build sounds feasible and would probably do an excellent job on the soft non-metallic materials you are working with. Are you planning to automate it or attempt to turn it into a CNC type of device? I think that too would work quite nicely and allow you to do some tasks from a hands off position. Just my .02, hope it helps.

Bob

I guess what I'm trying to do is create a spindle for my cnc gantry router that is both quiet and strong enough for general modeling in plastic without spending hordes of money. I do not use one enough to justify a real spindle but, plan on using it enough to have a spindle motor stronger than a Dremel but not as noisy as a router body. I have a VS 1 h.p. router body I've used but it is to noisy for my ears. I have hearing loss from too much rock and roll. Used to be a guitarist with a touring band.Would it work for say two or three hours daily use?
It may not work out to as fast as that but equal to the Dremel speeds.

If you have a lathe, and are willing to put a little time into it, you can build a spindle, housing and all, that will do what you need. Not really all that much to it.

Get this book:

Splndles -- Harprit Sandhu Its #27 in the Workshop Practice Series ISBM 1-85486-149-2

The book has many spindles you could make in it. The Spindle for my Home Grown Cutter Grinder is in there.

"Billy G"

Back