Some Voltage and Frequency Lathe Questions

Many thanks for the input gents, it has certainly given me something to think about, and a few things to research in the interim! GLCarlson would you have any suggestions for lathes that offer similar features and in a similar price bracket to the Grizzly that are not "Chinese" made. Are the Precision Mathews lathes any good, the PM1340GT model looks interesting?

Hi... The 1340GT is Taiwanese and is a very good lathe. I have the PM 1236 and like it very much (it sees a lot of use, just lookup all my threads) but often wish I went with the 1340. The PM equipment is similar to all the other brands but, the dealer goes a long way to make sure they're constructed with better-than-typical components and, he does a QC check on all machines before sending them to the customer. No other dealer goes to that much trouble.

Ray

Many thanks for the input gents, it has certainly given me something to think about, and a few things to research in the interim! GLCarlson would you have any suggestions for lathes that offer similar features and in a similar price bracket to the Grizzly that are not "Chinese" made. Are the Precision Mathews lathes any good, the PM1340GT model looks interesting?

Unfortunately, pretty much everything in the new, under $10K range manual is Chinese iron (and a lot above that-not much iron being poured in North America these days). The quality is whatever is inspected in. Grizzly does a reasonable job at a specific price/performance/value point; Jet is perhaps a cut above that, and Wilton even better (in my opinion), but the designs are essentially identical. There is a difference between Taiwan and mainland (Taiwan is usually better). If you follow the hobby magazines (Home Shop Machinist, etc) or forums, you'll find a regular stream of "how to improve a Chinese machine" articles. I believe that's both diagnostic and prognostic. After owning one of them (a Rong Fu round column mill) I decided never to buy straight Chinese brands again. I will buy Chinese manufacture with first-world quality control (example: Tormach, which is superb and has legendary, best-in-class product support).

So. Two options to recommend. By all means look at the Precision Matthews (the company has a fine reputation). And look at the new South Bend offerings (maybe the heavy 10), which has been revived by the owner of Grizzly but is aiming at a more discerning market. And, as above, Jet or Wilton- again Chinese, but marketed to a more industrial target with higher expectations (and, probably, more powertrain choices).

The other option is to seek out lightly used earlier production. Monarch 10EEs are popular (e-bay had a glorious rebuild for just on $10K not long ago), older/bigger S. Bend, etc. I have a 1978 Standard Modern that I bought 20 years ago that had perhaps 500 hours on it when purchased. That's a fine option for big, heavy industrial base countries, but hard outside N. America and parts of Europe and Asia, so it may not be much help.

A few final thoughts, after a few decades of shop-building. First, pick a work envelope and stick to it. Always buy quality machines. Never buy a machine that needs work as received. Every time I've broken one of those rules, I've paid for it- both time and money- and (so far, always) regretted it. A marginal machine is worse than none at all.

One final thought- your implied work envelope/shop philosophy is, I think, a good one for a generalist/hobby shop. Smaller (Sherline, Taig, etc) are fine for modellers, but just too small for most of us. And multipurpose machines (Smithy, etc, that try to be Emco-Maiers on the cheap) are tainted with the stench of compromise, promising to be all things to all people while delivering modest performance and low rigidity. Avoid the "everything" machines- or, at least, understand what you are getting.

Good luck. And do tell us what you ultimately do.

If you look at the other suppliers, be sure to ask if they can provide the machine with a motor suitable for your power requirements as an option. You might also look as suppliers who deal with the UK and other European countries, since they use 50Hz mains. There is a Harrison lathe group on Yahoo that I belong to, since I have a Harrison L6 lathe. I'll post a question there about UK suppliers - The group has a lot of members in the UK.

There have been several good comments on the use of a VFD, so maybe I should expand a little on what I was suggesting - My thoughts were to simply use the VFD as "quick and dirty" way to generate the required 3 phase, 60 cycle voltage from the 50 Hz source - not to actually use the VFD to control the speed of the lathe by varying the frequency. I am essentially using a VFD as a phase converter in my shop, since I do not have 3 phase available (I run a power hacksaw and a lathe off of mine). At this time, it is set to provide a fixed 60 hz output. I may, at some point in the future re-program mine and add a pot to use it to provide a speed control for the lathe, but I have not yet had a situation where it was worth doing. It may or may not be cheaper than replacing the motor, but it does offer another option.

Dan

Hello, the solf start/stop feture of vfd is nice it spins up from 0hz to selected speed. Slows the spindle quicker than coasting to a stop.

arnt most motors rated simply at different rpm if their 50 or 60hz i know all the motors i have are plated like that.

I do find my mill motor gets a little hot if i run it under 40- 45hz for any period of time

Stuart

Many thanks again for all the input and advice, its appreciated. I'm going to get in touch with some of the suppliers you have all mentioned and see what they say with regards to supplying a lathe with a motor better suited to my power requirements. I will keep you posted on that development!

Back