Something For You South Bend Folks

Or drop the price to something more reasonable. Sellers like that forget that anyone with an $11,000.00 lathe budget has a lot of
choices including a whole bunch of machines with a lot more capability than an SB 10. He's dreaming. Looks like a nice lathe
though.

If someone buys this they probably won't even use it. They'll more likely be buying it as an antique collector's item. Also if anyone buys this they will also most likely be so rich that $11,000.00 to them is like $11 to you or me. They won't even miss it.

Although there's also the possibility of someone of slightly lesser wealth might buy it to actually use, where in their case, $11,000.00 is more like $1,100 to you or me.

Finally, they might even get someone who's a hard-core South Bend lathe lover to buy it where their wealth status is not real great, but probably still far greater than ours. $11,000.00 to them might be more like $3,500 to us. I could see a lot of people paying $3,500 for that lathe easily. Maybe even as much as $5,000 just because it's like new.

It would be interesting to know what they actually get for it in the end. You certainly can't blame the seller for trying. Why not try? Catch the eye of a billionaire who has a fancy for collecting antique machinery and you get 11 grand. Can't beat that.

For someone like Bill Gates this lathe would be like 11 cents. I ought to call Bill up and say, "Hey Bill, got 11 cents on ya? Buy me this lathe." :grin:

Last edited:
Do the boards support the motor?

No. Look at the original photo. The whole lathe is sitting on some kind of wooden dolly. What you are seeing is the wooden dolly.

This is a Light 10 with underdrive. Back in 1960, this lathe sold for between 600-800 bucks. Accounting for inflation, it is worth about 5500 bucks in 2019. This is an old lathe with old features that is worth 6K to a collector. Anyone paying 11K is paying for the romance and idea of an original SB lathe, not the reality. Personally, I think the seller is just hoping for that one rich guy out there with more cash than brains.

Reminds me of my son when he was about 12 years old and trying to get away with something:

"Well Dad, you can't blame a guy for trying".

At least it was stored well, with this story I'd expect to see a seized-up hulk of rust that is absolutely good for nothing.

I got my old SB lathe for $600. (Canadian dollars even!)
q: Is this lathe 18 times better than mine?
a: We cannot know, because no one has ever used it!

Nice antique lathe, but the seller is dreaming.

-brino

" He bought this lathe just to make him happy just to look at it "

Mmmmmm……………………..if that's the case , I should be the happiest fool on the face of the planet being able to look at all my un-used junk !! :grin:

Very nice lathe... but I’m much happier owning my South Bend 9” Lathe which I paid 1,000 bucks and is in pretty damned good shape. Surely good enough considering I have saved 10,000 compared to this lathe costing 11k.287114

Last edited:
That's a nice lathe Tim. I'm currently looking at one a bit larger for $1,100.

I got my 1958 Sb 9c underdrive with a LOT of tooling and other machinest stuff. So far I have made $350 on the unneeded stuff.
For $1500.

Back