Sources for needle rollers ?

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
I am repairing a 1937 3-speed transmission. In it there is a bearing "union" between the ends of 2 shafts, with a set of needle rollers acting as the bearing. The rollers were gone, missing.. Measurement tells me they should be .1875" dia rollers (not quite sure of the length yet). Does anybody know of a source for inch-sized loose needle rollers? All I have found are metric, or quote & build to order..

Tempting to use a bunch of H & G Dowel pins....o_O

They used to sell caged needle bearings for certain applications. Have you check with all of the different auto parts/repair places on the net? They bound to be made and sold by someone out there?

I would probably look at some Torrington catalogs and buy a suitable bearing then cut it open and take the rollers out
Mark

Last edited:
It might be tough to find them by size. most places will only list them by application....and I doubt their catalogs go back to 1937.
-brino

What is the outside diameter and the length of the bearing cage, and the size of the shaft the rollers run on? I do not think you will find the rollers sold separately, but could be wrong about that...

How about checking what Harley used in the past, cant remember what sizes the used for crank bearings though.

The Chevrolet Muncie transmission counter shafts, had a couple of different counter shaft diameters, and used needles separated by washers. That should be an application source to look up when you have dimensions.

I am repairing a 1937 3-speed transmission. In it there is a bearing "union" between the ends of 2 shafts, with a set of needle rollers acting as the bearing. The rollers were gone, missing.. Measurement tells me they should be .1875" dia rollers (not quite sure of the length yet). Does anybody know of a source for inch-sized loose needle rollers? All I have found are metric, or quote & build to order..

I just "Googled" loose needle bearing & several sites came up. You may want to try that & see if someone will sell small quantities.

The Chevrolet Muncie transmission counter shafts, had a couple of different counter shaft diameters, and used needles separated by washers. That should be an application source to look up when you have dimensions.
Same with ford top loader ,single rail and various automotive three speed transmissions most of all used needles on the lay shaft for bearings these were all still made in late 70s and early 80s and most likely still can buy the needles and washers if they were correct size today.You could also try needle rollers from various spider universal drive shaft joints as these all use needle rollers on trucks etc Eaton ,Dana ,spicer etc to name a few

Back