South Bend 13" CL145B

4K might seem like a lot but not really when you start adding up the features it has. The taper attachment brings big bucks now if you try to buy one. That six jaw chuck was not cheap. and it does seem to be in pretty good shape from the pics. It has the toggle clutch engagement, large dials, and 2 lever gear box. Me personally I would rather buy a old southbend than a new chinese lathe for the same money. The southbend will hold its value if you take care of it.

My thoughts exactly. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Now what if I told you I could get it for $3k instead of 4?

Also the thread dial pictured is not the same as in the catalog.
$3K seems closer. $4K is not unreasonable though.
Greg makes a very good point.
So does Kroll.
lk

If I had the time or patience to do a full restore I would definitely agree. I did that with an atlas machine and was never actually able to use the machine after I got done. I'm looking for something that is basically ready to put to work. I'm still keeping the 13" in mind but I found a fourteen available locally for even less that appears to be in good shape. It also has the added benefit of having a d1-3 spindle instead of threaded. No 6j chuck but comes with basic tooling that would be needed.

Boy is my face red,reality check or hashtag "living in the past prices".Well I come in from trying to dig up a stump(poor mans way) to have a sandwich for lunch so I though I would just do alittle surfing on CL's.Even though I don't need a lathe I went looking anyway and found a couple.Up in the Dallas area is a lathe just like the one ADK is looking at minus the goodies,and not as nearly as good.Price?Drum roll please 5k,yes 5k dang I can't believe it but true.So now I'm half way though my sandwich biting hard cause I can't believe what I just read.But wait here's another SB ad,lets see what the heck!!!!Its a 9" on a homemade base for 4950.00 OMGoodness,well back to digging up the stump.Its not 1974 anymore---kroll

:confused 3: At $5k even the new South Bend Lathes start to look good. For less than that you can get one of the better made Taiwan imports and some tooling. Hell I just missed a Harrison m300 and m250 that were loaded with tooling and in good shape for a bit under $5k.

Boy is my face red,reality check or hashtag "living in the past prices".Well I come in from trying to dig up a stump(poor mans way) to have a sandwich for lunch so I though I would just do alittle surfing on CL's.Even though I don't need a lathe I went looking anyway and found a couple.Up in the Dallas area is a lathe just like the one ADK is looking at minus the goodies,and not as nearly as good.Price?Drum roll please 5k,yes 5k dang I can't believe it but true.So now I'm half way though my sandwich biting hard cause I can't believe what I just read.But wait here's another SB ad,lets see what the heck!!!!Its a 9" on a homemade base for 4950.00 OMGoodness,well back to digging up the stump.Its not 1974 anymore---kroll
And what these idiots are charging for parts and accessories on ebay is just sickening. The greed in todays times..........

Does anyone have any information on the SB Fourteen in addition to the available PDF maintenance and operation manual? It seems this machine was never sold in high numbers and information is scarce on the interwebs. I'm going to take a look at one on Friday that I think I will be purchasing if everything is in working order.

Last edited:
Back