South Bend 187-y 10l Taper Attachment Gibs & Gib Screws Needed

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Morning folks,
Well I got the tapered pin out of the binding post on my 10L Taper attachment but I need both gibs that are used on the bed of the attachment, itself.
I am looking for a source and wondering if the cross slide gibs are the same profile but just a different length ?
For this info I WILL NEED A "GIB WIZZARD"
if anyone has a drawing with dimensions for the gibs I WOULD LOVE TO PURCHASE A COPY
If anyone has the gibs I am a BUYER ! if you know anyone who will machine them Please let me know.
I am very close to completing the " CAST IRON MAIDEN" just two Gibs away !
Any info would help....
Thanks
Joebiplane

I have another question RE: Gibbs....
Is there a standard for the taper on a gib screw as they are thicker at the entrance end and thinner at the rear end. gibs seem to be different lengths so it would seem that a regulated taper factor should be in order.... Taper per inch .....so to speak. the height of the gib should be determined by the part it is being used on ( Height of the dovetail face the gib is fitting against)...
If I have to have new gibs made ....does anyone Know where I would go or who I would contact ???
Thanks
Joebiplane

I have a 10 L taper attachment setting here collection dust that I bought for one of my lathes. It is in very good shape. I'll be glad to pull the gibs and draw them up for you if you like.
As for what the taper is on the gib, there is no standard. It can be anything. I've seen the tapers vary from .180" per foot all the way up to 1" taper per foot. I've also see it called out as an angle, too. SBL used steel for their gibs as well as many other machine tool companies out there.

I have a 10 L taper attachment setting here collection dust that I bought for one of my lathes. It is in very good shape. I'll be glad to pull the gibs and draw them up for you if you like.
As for what the taper is on the gib, there is no standard. It can be anything. I've seen the tapers vary from .180" per foot all the way up to 1" taper per foot. I've also see it called out as an angle, too. SBL used steel for their gibs as well as many other machine tool companies out there.

Hi Ken,
I found reference to a " NORMAL Standard" of 1/4" per ft after 40 years building houses I am reminded that 1/4" PF is a standard sewer or septic line pitch.

I also determined that the gib in the compound slide of my Heavy 10 is identical , in profile, to the slide gib I am missing....excepting the length ...the TA slide gib is not as long.

Thanks
Joe

Yeah, "normal standard" of 1/4" TPF. I try to use that when I'm doing something new. I have two different lathes in my shop that the gibs don't even come close to 1/4 TPF. South Bend may be one of the few that follow the normal standard.

Back