South Bend 4-Jaw D1-5 chuck from Grizzly?

Seeing a nice Rohm chuck for $499. Don't know about their chucks but I've got some Rohm drill chucks and centers and they are very nice. I'm assuming made in Germany but....who knows. Gotta find out. Geez, I didn't see much before for D1-5 and now I'm finding them. You guys bringing me some luck. :high 5:

Rohm chucks are nice! They make good stuff!

The secret is.... well it's a secret! ;)

There used to be a Rutland local to me that I used to buy from. They got bought out by MSC & moved the location a few blocks over & turned into a MSC location. The same salesguy that I dealt with at Rutland works at that MSC. I'm cool with him, been buying from him for years, & he always tries to give me the best possible deal for high dollar items.

For example, I bought a Bison 6.25" 3-jaw Set-Tru. List price is $1032. I normally bought chucks from Ajax as they have great pricing. This chuck is $740 at Ajax. MSC's "normal" price is $1106. My logged in price at MSC is $797. My sales guy gave it to me $550. I have to pay tax but still way cheaper than anywhere else & I don't have to pay shipping for anything I buy from MSC, even if they have to transfer it from NV. I love MSC. :big grin:

Cool! Will you take PayPal.. or would you prefer I send you a check?

LOL!

Looked up the Pratt Burnred, and made in China. I also saw this with a few other chuck makers, but their name on a cheap chuck and charge 2X as much for the name.

I had the same problem with a Chinese 4J years ago, anything past 325 RPM and I though the machines was going to shake apart. It got replaced with the PM 8" Taiwanese 4J and it is much better made and even has balance weights on the inside. Smooth to 1000+ RPM. Rohm is also very good, but these days more people know about them and the prices have gone up.

Wow! Abrasivetool.com has that Bison for $486.90. I tried buying it online but I'm not getting a secure ordering page and the certificate ain't kosher either. Gonna call them tomorrow and see what's the deal. :dunno:

Wow! Abrasivetool.com has that Bison for $486.90. I tried buying it online but I'm not getting a secure ordering page and the certificate ain't kosher either. Gonna call them tomorrow and see what's the deal. :dunno:

pistachios.gif

OK. Called Abrasive Tool and they're OOS and it'll be about May when they get more in from Bison. They know their website is not secure and recommend calling to place orders. (no kidding). The price on website is not valid. The udpated price is $590, which is still cheaper than what I've seen yet. Oh, and I called Precision Matthews and spoke with a wonderful lady who advised they will be getting that chuck back in stock in about 3 weeks.

See a nice Gator/Fuerda chuck for $517 total but it's got solid jaws. This is pro'lly gonna be my go-to chuck for most non-collet work hence my thinking of going 2-piece jaws. What say ye? Solid or 2-piece jaws?

Last edited:
See a nice Gator/Fuerda chuck for $517 total but it's got solid jaws. This is pro'lly gonna be my go-to chuck for most non-collet work hence my thinking of going 2-piece jaws. What say ye? Solid or 2-piece jaws?

I don't see a need for 2 piece jaws on a 4-jaw indy chuck. Solid jaws on 4-jaw indy chucks are reversible anyway. 2 piece jaws would be good if you need to make soft jaws but again I don't see a reason to make custom soft jaws on a 4-jaw.

With that said, I do have 2-piece jaws on my 4-jaw chuck but not by choice. I would have been perfectly fine with solid jaws. Not once have I ever unbolted the top jaws, I can't think of a reason why I would need to.

I have the 8" Fuerda/Gator direct mount 4-jaw w/ 2-piece jaws. Only reason I didn't recommend it is because of what they cost now. I'm happy with it but at $500+ these days not worth it IMO, for a bit more you could get a Bison or similar.

I got the chuck for $350 shipped years ago from Ajax when the Gator brand was failry new. They have just been going up in price over the years. Had the PM Taiwan 4-jaw been available back then I probably would have got that or the Bison if it was in my budget at the time.

20161103_193853.jpg

Check out Globalindustrial.com. I just bought a Bison 10" for 768.00. Of course there's shipping and taxes also.

Back