South Bend 415-YC - Price check on aisle 3

Interesting comments... But just for my own knowledge, what is a lathe like this worth? What is a fair price for it?

On a side note... I tend to keep what I buy... very hard for me to let go of any tools... Only reason I would be willing to sell my HF lathe is to replace it with something along these lines. That and because I have another lathe on its way... two lathes for me would be enough, lol.
Something like that in my neighborhood runs about $850-$1200 ish depending on condition and accessories ;)

Something like that in my neighborhood runs about $850-$1200 ish depending on condition and accessories ;)
as always, location drives price
abundance of like type of lathes
what a person is willing or desperate to pay/have.

I don't look at C models, so I can't answer

Since you have the PM lathe on the way, the lack of a gearbox on the SB seems like a non issue. If you want some old American
Iron to play with that could be a good choice. Since prices are regional it's tough to say, but it looks like the owner repainted it,
so as usual what matters is condition and tooling: a high price based on appearances can catch you out.

The listing only mentions the following:

"Bed length 3. Swing 9 inch. Threads. Taper attachment. Some tooling. Heavy cabinet with wheels new motor. New belts. Forward and reverse"

I didn't see the taper attachment. That in itself is worth $300..
With our new picture limits it's very hard to see details... things are too small for detailed study.

I didn't see the taper attachment. That in itself is worth $300..
With our new picture limits it's very hard to see details... things are too small for detailed study.

Yeah, hard to see from the photos... had to go back to look closer...

Southbend 415-YC Lathe - 2 Taper Attachment.jpg

Strongly agree. One of the big reasons I paid up for a lifetime membership was that I liked the way HM handled pictures, with the option of posting thumbnails that could be opened to large easy to see pictures. Now it seems like a bunch of tiny images that are hard to see any detail. I am not a fan of this change, even with the sorry satellite internet. To me those detailed images made the difference between a forum with content, and a lot of pointless dialogue.

Was not aware that had changed... that explains a lot...

Last edited:
I called the seller... will drive up Friday to look at it...

He bought it around 10 years ago from a place that used it for wood work... Told me that it was filthy as heck... Once he had it at his shop, he did a complete restoration and got it to the way it looks today. This was right after getting it... He installed a new motor and had a new flat belt made for it. And it just sat in his shop. In 10 years he is telling me that he probably used it once or twice...

I asked about additional accessories... nothing outside of what was in the photos... So no:
  • 4-jaws chuck...only the 3-jaws chuck in the photo
  • No face plate nor lathe dogs
  • No center rest nor follower rest
  • It has a drill chuck and a tail center... no head center

He is a retired toolmaker... told me him and his brother used to work for the same company (goodness, he told me the name of the company, but now I can't remember it, lol... )... brother bought one of the Bridgeport mills from the place when he retired... His brother is in Pennsylvania... I get distracted easily... told him about wanting to also find a larger mill as well... that is how the conversation turned into his brother and the Bridgeport he might also be selling...

Anyway... I might just be wasting 4 hours driving back and forth there... but I will get to see one of these beauties in the flesh and talk, and learn, from an guy with a lot of experience on this... I think that alone is worth the trip...

How much is he asking?
US$2,000.00 which, based on what I have seen, he asking too much...

I told him that I might be wasting his time, but that I wanted to see it... he was fine with that. We never touched on the topic of the asking price over the phone... No sense doing so unless I am really serious about getting it... I was clear that I really have never seen one and would love to see it.

Funny, he did ask me "Do you know what you are looking at? It is a small lathe, no quick change gearbox. I have had folks stop by thinking it is something different..."

Back