South Bend Heavy 10 Turret Lathe Reaquaintance

I see the tailstock from time to time on eBay. Just search south bend heavy 10 or 10L.

I think this lathe was made in 1967. 50 years old this year. Finally found a serial number list, that I read correctly after making sense of their system. I was about to send Grizzly 25$ out of sheer curiousity. But I have better places to put money than an email reply from Grizzly.

Nice lathe, if it were mine id keep the turret and cross slide with the lathe. I would guess it was ordered like that . Plus even selling them may not make much money. There are lots of 10 s out there but not set up like yours. The master painter working there is doing a great job. Gray sure fits machines dosent it. Did you say had anther motor to make the third leg to run the lathe. If so very few parts would be needed to make your own RPC. The motors the expensive part of the build.

Last edited:
Serial number show the turret came on it, the cross slide, I also have the levers in the bottom of it that work the Y axis I think, instead of cranks. I still need to figure out what some of the extras do.

Gray always looks good on machinery. I see some neat heavy 10 lathes that are painted two tone, they look great, but standard gray is just fitting.

Thanks for the compliment. I just put the final layer of paint on the chip pan, bed towers and bed, so I can assemble them, and then start on all the other pieces.

A little update, I have the lathe setting in its final home. I've removed the electrical boxes off the back, the 3 phase motor, installed a new to me 220 single phase motor, installed new bearings in it, ran it for just a bit before breaking my old sad looking leather belt. So I have ordered a new Rubber with nylon core belt to replace the leather. I am now looking high and low for a compound cross slide and bas to go on the carriage, my existing cross slide while good for production work, limits what I want to do. Also am looking for a standard tail stock. Thanks for looking!!

CE6A33BB-2273-41C4-BDEE-B8EDCC50ACD0.jpeg

E3493CC8-63BD-4508-9162-E88B3FB58C35.jpeg

35FE2BF7-F740-444D-8FFF-4F0FDB5FA1CD.jpeg

EB46D857-B2B7-4DC4-BC7B-A6F281BBBEA8.jpeg

Wish my 10L had a t slot x slide, wounder if they work with a taper attachment. The turret ts would be nice too.

I’m pretty sure I’ll keep my current cross slide and turret tail stock, but a standard tail stock I can lock down for use with a live center would be very nice. Then my ability to cut angles or threads is why I want a compound cross slide.

While it’s apart are you replacing the lube felts , would be a good plan. If this has been mentioned sorry
There is a seller on eBay “Lionel ind. I think” that sells a refurbish book and the correct felts for your lathe the book is very good at explaining how to refurbish and set it back up with new felts, adjustments mods.

Back