South Bend Heavy 10 vs 9

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I currently have a smart and brown SAB (south bend 9 clone), but have a lead on a cheap heavy 10. My question is - is the upgrade worth the effort? The heavy 10 has a qcgb and a larger bed, but I’m going to ELS my current lathe, so qcgb isn’t really much of a benefit. I get the larger bed is only a benefit based on projects that I do, but this is just a hobby for me, so I’ve no real idea of why I’d need a larger bed, but I guess it’s nice to have. So is the benefit in weigh and ridgidity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need two lathes.
Does the ELS still allow you to cut threads?
If not, that alone would be reason to buy a second one.

Yeah, ELS does allow for threads in both metric and imperial. I agree that I probably need multiple lathes :) I don’t really have space for more than one though.

If I was going to do and ELS conversion, I'd start with the more rigid, higher capacity lathe.

If I was going to do and ELS conversion, I'd start with the more rigid, higher capacity lathe.

I don’t actually have space at home as I have no where for a floor mounted (on cabinet) lathe. If I buy this, my dad will keep at his house as he wants to learn how to use a lathe, then when I move somewhere with a bigger garage (In a few years) I’ll take the heavy 10 back and probably sell my (bench mounted) 9 inch.

The deal on tha heavy 10 is too good to pass up and I also want my dad to have something to learn on as I know he’ll enjoy it, but seems to drag his feet with stuff like this and will probably not end up buying anything.

So I’m doing the ELS on the lathe that I’ll have at home.

I believe the heavy 10 has a larger spindle bore than the 9- if that matters to you

Coming from a job shop environment, I wasn't exactly thrilled when Fred gave me a South Bend, but it was a lathe. Neither of us even knew what model it was. He told me it came from a shop we didn't hold in high regard and said it was their "good lathe". We both chuckled. Turns out it was a Heavy 10L. Five years in, it impresses me more every time I use it. Grab that Heavy 10, it is much more lathe than a 9.

Coming from a job shop environment, I wasn't exactly thrilled when Fred gave me a South Bend, but it was a lathe. Neither of us even knew what model it was. He told me it came from a shop we didn't hold in high regard and said it was their "good lathe". We both chuckled. Turns out it was a Heavy 10L. Five years in, it impresses me more every time I use it. Grab that Heavy 10, it is much more lathe than a 9.

Thanks for the reply. Im assuming the benefits over the 9 are around weight and ridgidity and therefore deeper and more precise cuts?

Thanks for the reply. Im assuming the benefits over the 9 are around weight and ridgidity and therefore deeper and more precise cuts?

Yes, less tendency for chatter too.

Back