South Bend Lathe 9 Need an opinion of drilling the carriage for a left side follow rest.

That works well, but you can also just turn the QC tool holder around so that one of the dovetails face to the right to mount the tool right under the FR jaw or very near to it, this does make the locking handle sit in an inconvenient location, but I just remove it temporarily.
well, since I don't have a follow rest, making one to do that , vs putting it where it works is what I was tossing around.
John, do you see any reason not to move it to the left side?

That works well, but you can also just turn the QC tool holder around so that one of the dovetails face to the right to mount the tool right under the FR jaw or very near to it, this does make the locking handle sit in an inconvenient location, but I just remove it temporarily.
That was the first option I tried. I was stymied by the available material length. When rigged out as you suggest there was insufficient clearance of the tool post and the chuck jaws to get the necessary length of thread.

Well I did it. I drilled the carriage. I only had one good 3/4 end mill, my 7/8 does not fit my ER32 collets so I went with that. I created 2 flats because of the tapered casting, then drill for 5/16 - 18.. same as the right side. Then I went about cutting up a 6061 sheet of 1/4 aluminum that I have. The Jig saw blade galled up even with WD40, probably too host.. I couldn't use my circ saw in the basement, I have some woodworking projects that I can't splatter.. So small milwaukee band saw, that unfortunately does not have enough throat for large cuts, so I did small cuts and brazed the aluminum together.
20220313_140420.jpg20220313_143536.jpg20220313_144907.jpg20220313_144925.jpg20220313_152625.jpg20220313_161037.jpg20220313_161040.jpg20220314_145724.jpg

Looks good to me. You got where you wanted to go….that’s what matters.

Yep, It's going to get the screws done for the customer. Unfortunately, it was more work than I though it would be. I really need a better way to cut this 4 foot by 220220316_150734.jpg foot piece of Aluminum without splattering the entire basement with aluminum chips.

Also a lot of mis-steps... holding the screws on the dome ... no go.. they need a center. So instead of 1 op, more like 4 ops. Not finished with them.

Last edited:
Yep, It's going to get the screws done for the customer. Unfortunately, it was more work than I though it would be. I really need a better way to cut this 4 foot by 3 foot piece of Aluminum without splattering the entire basement with aluminum chips.

Also a lot of mis-steps... holding the screws on the dome ... no go.. they need a center. So instead of 1 op, more like 4 ops. Not finished with them.
Nice job on the follower rest. Not time wasted at all. You just made yourself more capable.
Right now I am using a chip shield that just sits on the table of my mill. I plan to install a transparent shower curtain around my entire knee mill to help keep the shop clean.

I watched your video and trying to learn how a follower rest works/set-up . Did you have to thread a bit then adjust the wheels and I’m assuming that they have to be adjusted the same on each cut ?

I watched your video and trying to learn how a follower rest works/set-up . Did you have to thread a bit then adjust the wheels and I’m assuming that they have to be adjusted the same on each cut ?
The size of the rod is 1/4 it's a tight tolerance O1 rod. So I don't have to remove any material to dimension it. If I did, I would turn the bearing holder over, and keep the bearings on the previously dimensioned side (left) and follow behind. My follower is only providing support for the rod against the tool, not a top support.

The way I am using it is the tool and bearings align. So I get maximum support, it's amazing how much better it is. The rod does not move away, so it is extremely consistent all the way across this very long thread. I'll provide more pics, I was in a rush yesterday, and today has a full schedule too.

Looks great. It fits in well with the quick change tool post. I have the standard follower rest, and it contacts in the wrong place for the Aloris style tool post. So, I forged a lantern tool post, rocker, ring and one Armstrong tool holder to make the one cut. It lined up just great, and worked fine for making the thread. I guess I could have drilled new holes, but I already had the follower.

Back