South bend lathe

erstrauss

Registered
Registered
Really hope I can get some help here. My father left a garage full of machining equipment in his garage. I'm a mechanic for a Chevy dealer not a machinist. there is a south bend lathe 10k. 10 swing. 22 across if that makes sense to anyone. He was super Einstein and anal about his shop. I have an inventory list for the lathe totaling 7100.00. I have done a little research and it seems some inventory was used to rebuild the lathe but I'm lost on the rest. I can't put the tooling on the inventory list with a tool in the garage because I honestly have no l clue what I'm looking for. I would like to sell it as a package or I'll be stuck with tooling. any ideas on putting the inventory list together with the tools and can I get .50 on the dollar for machines and tooling for it

A SB 10 is a sought after lathe. If it was rebuilt, it should go for a good buck, but you won't get the full amount unless the parts are NOS and sought after. (wear parts are desirable) and you can sell them on flea bay, but then you have to pay them also. Being out in the west will also jack up the price

Trying to sell as a package would probably bring less than selling pieces separately

NOS stands for New Old Stock, which means factory parts that have been stockpiled somewhere long after they're no
longer available from the manufacturer. Folks that restore old cars who buy old OEM parts that have been sitting on
the shelf are buying NOS parts.

Wear parts are parts that wear out with use and therefore are typically in demand. Bearings, bushings and so forth would be examples
of them.

Many of the older machines no longer have factory parts support, so if your Dad was able to rebuild it with new parts, that
would make the machine more desirable. If there are spare parts in the inventory, that's even better.

If you could post photos of what you have, we can help identify what you've got and offer suggestions on how best to
sell your Dad's machine. Perhaps someone at your dealership knows a local machinist that could help ID your parts as well.

Well maybe I could shoot a photo of the inventory list I don't need a complete exact breakdown of what is what but at least I might get an idea of how much of that list was used to rebuild the machine and how much of that list is actually tooling or accessories that are used for the machine. There is also an EMCO mill. Inventory total 10,100. It looks as though it has hardly been used it has a small screen in the left corner possibly a digital axis display? If I took machining 101 I was not paying attention! The mill is a whole different bag of tricks one thing at a time

I would think you've got three possible categories of stuff here. The machines themselves, and any tooling that would normally be sold
with them, tooling that isn't machine specific, such as measuring tools, and spare parts for the machines which could be sold with
them, or could be sold on eBay if you wanted to get top prices. It sounds like you want to keep it simple, so spare parts could
go with the machines as a package. Other tools are a bit more difficult, since anyone buying a package of that stuff probably would
want to low ball you so that they could re-sell individually. You might want to keep in mind that the prices your Dad payed for that
stuff may not be relevant to their value today. Pics of the machine and, the inventory list and the tooling would help.

Ok. I'll get with that. It may take a minute I'm in Las Vegas the machines are in Los Angeles in the garage.I do have the inventory list. I'm not in a hurry to fire sale anything so that good. I surely appreciate your repy

Or....

If everything is still powered up maybe find someone on the forum, or someone you know from work that can show you how to make a few chips.

If you just lost your dad, my condolences to you and your family.

I lost my dad last year and I have machines he bought that I still use all the time. As a former mechanic (still work on stuff for a hobby) I can assure you that there will come a time when you think, "I wish I had a lathe/mill so I can make this custom part/make this part fit".

I know there are lots of things you will need to take care of and if you're in my position you will find yourself under pressure to finalize stuff, (even if it's just so you don't have to keep dealing with it and all the memories it brings up). You've found your way here for a reason so take some time and look around some of the projects people are doing. What your dad has left you is a legacy whether you think you want it or not. If he was of the same generation as my dad they learned how to use tools before there was a digital anything and those skills are worth preserving.

So, if I was in your position (presumably with family members wanting the stuff cleared out so the house can be sold), I would load everything up on a trailer and find a good storage place in Nevada if you don't have room at your home. Storage out there is cheap compared to California especially if you get a little ways out from Vegas. Give it a year or so before you make any decisions about what to sell and how, or if you might want to take up machining as a hobby.

Just my honest opinions....

John

BTW, here's a shot of a project my dad did when I was a kid.

Mustang ll.jpg

What's that? That was a project you built with your dad? You guys are a couple of bad ass's to get with something like that. That's really amazing. Thank you for your reply

Back