South Bend or Atlas 7" Which one to keep?

atwatterkent

Active User
Registered
I jest picked up a SB 7" shaper and I've had an Atlas for a couple of years. Which one would you keep?

I would keep the one that is in the best condition and run the best.

Paul

You going to sell one? if so how much and will you ship????:drool:
Just getting ready to start building one but would much rather buy one and start using it.:biggrin:

Keep the one with the longest stroke, on the basis that you can do small work on a big machine, but it's hard to do big work on a small machine.
Phil

Both have a 7" stroke.
I'm picking up the SB Monday morning and other than needing a cleaning up. I have no idea of it's condition. I have heard that the SB has automatic oil injection but is harder to change the stroke than the Atlas.

As Christmas is coming up very soon. You could just load up the SB and send his little sleigh down my way (or the Atlas I suppose). :biggrin: At least I'll "flip" bvd1940 for it. :p

-Ron

Picked up the SB shaper today. Posted photos in "atwatter" album. A couple minor problems but all the major components are there. The surface rust needs to be cleaned up before it can run. The oil sump is empty except for some residual sludge. The cabinet is in decent shape which was what I wanted in the first place. Everything was repainted a few years ago.
It has a 3 phase 220V/440V motor which needs replacement before sale although I can run it on 3 phase. I also added a couple of pics of the Atlas shaper I use.

As Christmas is coming up very soon. You could just load up the SB and send his little sleigh down my way (or the Atlas I suppose). :biggrin: At least I'll "flip" bvd1940 for it. :p

-Ron

Yer on!!!!:biggrin:

Heck I am hunting high and low for a shaper & you gots 2, it aint fair:(

Back