South Bend or Atlas 7" Which one to keep?

I've cleaned up the SB, inside and out, replaced the belts, flushed the sump, and added oil. Everything works well and it looks suprisingly good. I've decided to keep my Atlas though because the Atlas is a larger machine. The table is larger, with tee slots, the SB vise is held in place by one bolt instead of the Atlas four corner bolts and all the adjustments can be made from one side. I do like the auto feed mechanism on the SB better though, as it's simpler and a more positive action in my opinion. Now to mount it on the old stand my Atlas is on, put wheels on the SB base cabinet and mount the Atlas on it. The 3 phase motor runs good so whoever buys it can use it as is or easily change it.

I've cleaned up the SB, inside and out, replaced the belts, flushed the sump, and added oil. Everything works well and it looks suprisingly good. I've decided to keep my Atlas though because the Atlas is a larger machine. The table is larger, with tee slots, the SB vise is held in place by one bolt instead of the Atlas four corner bolts and all the adjustments can be made from one side. I do like the auto feed mechanism on the SB better though, as it's simpler and a more positive action in my opinion. Now to mount it on the old stand my Atlas is on, put wheels on the SB base cabinet and mount the Atlas on it. The 3 phase motor runs good so whoever buys it can use it as is or easily change it.

I would be interested also.:biggrin:

I have an atlas, I like it better than the south bend. Just MHO.
Shapers are a real joy to use, and just to watch...

Had a little accident which pushed back my schedule to switch the Atlas to the SB base cabinet but have decided that the South Bend is definately going. I'm sorry but it will have to be a pickup only. No shipping.

South Bend shaper ready to go.

I have the South Bend shaper ready to sell. I would like to get $650 for it. I'll send high def photos to anybody that is interested. I'm in Kanklakee Illinois which is about 50 miles south of Chicago. I cleaned up the oil sump, added oil and ran it to verify that the oil pump works, and installed new belts. The original SB vise is included. It's mounted on a 2 x 4 base which has casters for mobility. There are a couple of photos in my album.

Back