Southbend 10 X 3 1/2

dave enrico

Registered
Registered
im going to look at a southbend 10 x 3 1/2 on saturday,its a 40s lathe ,there is no 3 or 4 jaw chuck only a collet closer,my question is there any thing imparticular to check being used mainly for collets,spindle bearings any excessive wear at different places i should be looking for,with collets only is there any items that wear faster thqan with a chuck,its said this lathe was used only in the maintenance dept,i originaly took up the tool and die trade when i first got out of high school after 2 years i quit and went into auto repair so this lathe will be like a new begining for me ,ive been out of high school for 47 years,thanks dave

Hi Dave,
i would look at the spindle threads closely. if they are damaged or abused that may be a warning sign.
if you want to put a chuck on the lathe, a damaged spindle would be a bummer.
the lathe may have been used for accurate work on relatively small diameter stuff, thus the use of the collets and closer.
i would also inspect the inside bore of the spindle and collet spindle adapter (if equipped) to look for scoring from overuse.
if you bring a dial indicator with you and a short length of 1/2" pipe you can measure the spindle deflection , giving you an indication of spindle wear.
a look at the v ways will give an excellent determination of service life. if there are ridges on the V ways, i would be wary-
this is an indication of a worn machine.
worn machines can be used and repaired/rebuilt . it all depends on what you need and what you can work with.
a worn machine takes a lot more skill to operate to desired end, than a new machine.
conversely, if you can find a good machine with a few imperfections that won't really affect your work, i say get it if the price is right.
sometimes a few minor imperfections can be a big stick for you, when it gets to time to talk money

Now I'm no expert by any means but it seems to me a machine that had only used collets would get less wear. Less lateral pressure than a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. Most of the stress would seem to go to the inside of the spindle. If you could find out the spindle taper and check it with a center or something like that. Rubbing the center with white chalk and inserting it will show any uneven spots.

i looked at the lathe saturday and am going to pick it up this saturday,its a 10 x 36 southbend with underdrive motor,this lathe has a rather large oil tank and pump under the chip pan,can anyone explain what the pump is for,
this lathe only has collet closer no chuck,price is fair not a great deal but im going to get it anyway, thanks for all the help dave

Hi Dave,

Normally this is for either a flood or mist coolant system. These systems provide:
-reduction of heat build-up in the work and tool, (for longer tool edge life, and less heat induced expansion of the work)
-lubrication right at the cutting edge for better surface finish
-help to wash away chips

A reservoir and pump are mounted below the chip tray. Typically the chip tray has a mesh screen to filter out the big chips.
Look for a flexible/aimable nozzle, it may be a segmented plastic one up near the tool post.

Some possible downsides are:
-some water-based coolants can separate if left sitting for a time,
-some coolants can stain surfaces like the the bed and dovetails ways
-some coolants go rancid and stink!
-some (especially water-based) coolants can freeze, and may expand and crack the reservoir and piping too......though maybe not a problem for you in California.

I believe that few home shops bother using one because of the above. In industry it is the norm due to the faster cutting and less re-sharpening required.

I use either a small squirt bottle, or brush and apply by hand.

-brino

Last edited:
Dave,

One more thing......

Often the collets and closers are used for turning small bits without need of a tail-stock.
Does the lathe have the tailstock? The lack of one should be considered severely limiting.

-brino

Dave,

Often the collets and closers are used for turning small bits without need of a tail-stock.
Does the lathe have the tailstock? The lack of one should be considered severely limiting.

-brino

+1

My Logan came without a tailstock and it's taken the better part of a year to get the right parts and them assemble them so that I can drill a hole from the tailstock without breaking a bit. It's not a show stopper, but it took way longer than I ever imagined at the start.

If you work on items smaller than 1", then I'd rather have the collet setup complete and go buy one 3 or 4-jaw chuck for the big stuff, than to do it the other way around and have to buy all the individual collets. adapters, draw bars, etc, etc.

Back