Speaking of Power Hacksaws

GK1918

Active User
Registered
Time to time I post a long time problem of figuring out how the oil intake to the pump is plummed.
This is on a 1917 Roberson the hydraulic style lift system. The pump stroke runs of the main shaft
eccentric. The oil output is a no brainer (i just used sink flex pipe) The problem is, my thought would
be >it has a trough around its casting which I think it would be the oil resevouir. If the case (there is
no threaded hole anywhere . Oh I can make it work by making a hole but I would like to know how
It was done when mfg. I target some of the newcommers here that havent seen my old posts about
this and maybe have the same machine. epilog > oil output ok pump does pump ok problem cant
find where it gets its oil. here is the pump pic 2 flex pipe pic 1

oil pump.jpg w.Robertson 1914 No3.jpg

no idea but have to say, thats a beautiful piece of history. . .

Could you give us some close-ups of the pump from several angles? Where it's located, I'd expect there to be a hole in the sidewall of the base feeding into the pump, probably into the tower to the left of the piston.

Another thought ... Is it possible that there was a tank attached to the pump at some time in the past? That would ensure that no grit got pulled into the pump to cause wear.

Hi Hawkeye, looking a pic 2 you can see the hose left of the pump (the two small cylinders) not
shown right of the pump there is a 3/8 pipe out of the pump facing back inline with its table as to
be plumed into the trough which theres no hole? I too thought of a oil res. but what happens with
all the oil (runs over on the floor) No doubt there something missing and then if i do drill and tap
I guess all the oil and swarf goes through the pump-- just could be. And the pump, simple piston no
rings or seals just a common packing on the piston rod, the small cylinder shown on the left output
has a spring and a large ball like a marble, thats its foot valve I would guess. I found this model
on U tube with pump but I cant get connected with him. OOh well sam

Back