Specialty tool

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
In preparation for spring, I have been working on my Bobcat 853 doing some cleaning in preparation for replacing
the spool valve seals that run the lift arms and bucket. Removing the right side cover revealed a lot of hydraulic oil
in the bay below the right drive pump. Above the pump is the spool valve assembly which needs to be accessed
from the top by raising the cab. I could see that it was not going to be a fun job at all so watched some You-Tube
videos for some insight. There is a special tool needed when the spools are reinstalled to hold a spring under tension
and two ball bearings. I was able to see Bobcat's tool and decided it would be best to make something since I will likely
be working alone and always being short handed in an unsavory spot I might add. I added a spring to the assembly so
it will hold everything together in the reassembly. Also, I used a 1/4 inch ball end mill to make two little spots to hold the ball bearings with a little dob of grease.

P1040203.JPG

P1040202.JPGThis was made with a scrap of pipe and some 1/4 inch diameter rod I had laying around using an acetylene torch for fabricating.

It's a snow day here so a perfect to day to spend a little time in the shop and out of the weather.

That's a nice addition to your toolbox. I do not envy your project having spent a few hours standing on my head, soaking up hydraulic oil, fixing a leak under the cab of my JCB skid loader. Good luck.

Might I suggest adding something to prevent the spring from rolling along the length of the tool? A couple weld bumps should do it.

Good work!

GsT

Might I suggest adding something to prevent the spring from rolling along the length of the tool? A couple weld bumps should do it.

Good work!

GsT

I did grind a pair of small grooves to keep the spring at bay. It's a tool I will likely use once in a lifetime
so wasn't too picky on the design. I like your analytical thinking on the tool by the way!

Having watched another You-Tube video, I could see that a little modification was in order
for the tool. The thickness of the tool in the video was 3/16 inch so I ground it down to that
thickness and relieved the end so the tool would be easier to remove.

I'm posting this because someone else might happen on to my post and have to struggle with
my previous design. Now it will slip off the valve assembly without overstretching the spring
as well as being thinner for easier use.
P1040211.JPG

This morning I had to shovel a path to the shop and shovel off the deck as we have at least 8 inches of snow
up here in northern Minnesota now. Before the snow, the ground had been bare for weeks. I guess it proves
there is no free lunch...:rolleyes:

Holy cow! I'm into it deep now. Yesterday I tore into the Bobcat 853 to work on spool valve seals.
First was cleaning... a lot of cleaning and housekeeping because of the dirt and oil accumulation.
Then I removed the front panel with the steering arms attached. Several bolts broke off so today I will
need to drill them out and run a tap into the holes. With a little better access to the spool valve assemblies,
I started to disassemble the ends of the spools on the front end removing the Allen screws and covers.
One screw needed a bit of chiseling but with the aid of a Vise Grip, it finally gave way.

I can see that I will need to remove the fuel fill hose so I can pull out the spools so that will be the next
project. The hose is caked with dirt and oil so expect it will be another session of housecleaning. I try
to use a vacuum cleaner and a scraper but it is a slow process. Some of the dirt falls into the lower
level so have to go back there and clean once again. I'm pretty sure the valve body will be a drooling mess
when I get to it so waiting to pull the valves until I am ready to install the seals.

Each day is the same routine beginning by firing up the huge wood stove and warming up the shop so I can work
as well as fueling the generator and starting it up. The building is 2800 square feet so it takes a couple wheel barrow loads of wood to warm up the place.

Likely tomorrow I will be able to use the tool and start the reassembly process. In the meantime, there
are nuts and bolts and parts arranged to go back together when the time comes.

The work is being done with the bucket arms down which makes everything a little more difficult.
I'm up to the challenge and fully expect it will be back up and operating shortly. It will be a blessing
not to have to add oil to the machine every time I want to use it.:encourage:

Go to Lowes and get the 5 gallon greased lightening cleaner.

Spray on full strength with garden sprayer.

Strong batch of dawn for rinse.

Bobcat 825 here, lovely to work on...not...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back