Speed handle.....not so speed handle?

Tipton1965

Registered
Registered
Not too long ago I was using my X power feed on my mill and the darn stock vice handle on my Kurt vice started getting jammed up. Luckily, I caught it right away and stopped it before disaster struck. That was grounds for dismissal. I didn't really need a typical vice speed handle but instead wanted a handle with the right dimensions as to never have to worry about a crash happening ever again. My son got me some hunks of aluminum for Christmas last year and one of them was perfect for the job. I used a deep impact socket which I cut to take advantage of the full length of the vice tightening hex. I added a pressed in magnet to keep it located on the vice hex which works really well. Pretty basic but it works great. I had some illusion red and alien silver powder left over from my last project so even though it doesn't match my vice it looks like it's cranking faster than it actually is! :p
20220429_152506.jpg20220429_152531.jpg
20220429_152339.jpg20220429_152702.jpg20220429_152951.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Use of a socket is a great idea! How’s it held in the handle? Just a press fit?

Nice work! Use of a socket is a great idea! How’s it held in the handle? Just a press fit?
Yeah press fit. A tight .005" press fit. I used my powder coat oven and heated up the aluminum arm and then grabbed it with an oven mitt and pressed the socket in.

Wow! Isn’t 0.001” over the usual press fit? Depending on how big the piece might be, I guess…

Wow! Isn’t 0.001” over the usual press fit? Depending on how big the piece might be, I guess…
Aluminum expands quite a bit. At the shop I worked at we always turned aluminum .003" over size and it would cool down and shrink within tolerance. I figured with the part at 450F I had probably a .002" press fit. After it cooled down it isn't going anywhere.

Awesome. Definitely something I’ll keep in mind for future projects! Great job, again!

Oh man, that thing is fancy. I love the red powder coat!

Good idea with the socket and magnet!

Back