Spider for the PM1127

Logan Novice

Registered
Registered
Here's the spider I just finished for my PM1127-VF. It has an extended mounting collar that fits inside the spindle bore and it mounts to the spindle end pulley assembly using two screws (just a bit longer than the OEM) in place of the shorter OEM screws. I am a novice hobby machinist and, as one might expect, this project did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. This is actually my third attempt at getting the mounting screws properly position to mate with the spindle pulley and the spider screws correctly aligned along the circumference. I included those errors in the images to demonstrate to others that an error does not have to equal failure. To correct my errors I simply filled the "mistakes" with machine screws and cut them off/machined them flush with the face of the spider. The third set of holes bear witness to the fact that we can recover the material to live another day.

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_085802847.jpg
    IMG_20210921_085802847.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20210921_085812839.jpg
    IMG_20210921_085812839.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
I have an 1130 on the way. I may steal your idea/design. I bet you a dollar I screw it up more times than you.

*edited because I spell like a 1st grader

Last edited:
I have an 1130 on the way. I may steal your idea/design. I bet you a dollar I screw it up more times than you.

*edited because I spell like a 1st grader
The material I used is 6061 aluminum. Only thing to be careful of with that stuff is to run tools in/over/through it at slow speeds with good lubrication to avoid work hardening.
From my list of "been there, done that" .... The spacing of those holes for mounting the spider to the spindle pulley is 60mm OC. Not 59.90 or 60.01. My first mistake was trying to convert that to linear inches ..... bad idea. Even though I did measure twice cut once.

The material I used is 6061 aluminum. Only thing to be careful of with that stuff is to run tools in/over/through it at slow speeds with good lubrication to avoid work hardening.
From my list of "been there, done that" .... The spacing of those holes for mounting the spider to the spindle pulley is 60mm OC. Not 59.90 or 60.01. My first mistake was trying to convert that to linear inches ..... bad idea. Even though I did measure twice cut once.
I had no idea that aluminum work hardens. I just thought it gets a bit gummy when machining.

I had no idea that aluminum work hardens. I just thought it gets a bit gummy when machining.
I may not have used the correct term, but I call it work hardening when aluminum changes color and "crystalizes" becoming weaker. If anyone knows a better way to describe that please send up a flare. I ain't no metallurgist.

Ok, hopefully someone chimes in because im curious what the term is now so i can keep an eye out for this behavior. Id say anneal but it doesnt really have a chance to cool down as you're cutting. never really noticed anything like this with 6061 aside from the fact that its a heck of a lot more agreeable than stainless.

Back