Spindexer’s

Brento

Registered
Registered
I am cleaning mine from the job i just previously did since i haven’t cleaned it since I bought from a guy. Is there any modifications for these that you can do? I know the modification where you flip the spindle around and have the indexing plate in the back by the handle to give more clearance. Was there any others? I currently only have one so it will be my mill and surface grinder spindexer.

Turn it into an airbearing.

I surface ground the base so it’s perfectly parallel to the spindle. Ground the front and sides of base for reference to the spindle. And put slots in the sides to allow bolting to the table. You‘d need to install bushings in housings to tighten up the clearance on the spindle and tap in a air line.

Main mod is to mill the base so you can just plop it in the mill vise. Since I have a BP 5" that means removing some material so that it will fit. Right now I need to remove the jaws for it to fit.

Another mod is to put clamping slots so that you just need to run studs up and nuts.. Rather than run clamps to it.

My mod was to mark the front collar to indicate where the alignment dowel is for the 5cs, so I am not fumbling for it. For me a very valuable time saver, and frustration saver.

@Cadillac, I always thought air spindle was so that it just rides on a cushion of air, that the tolerances where so perfect that the trapped air was what it rode on.. I didn't think it needed air added. I watched Dan Gelbart https://www.youtube.com/user/dgelbart/videos make one. It was from precision fitting, and the spindle just floated on air, I realized I will never be that good.. I would like to be, but it won't happen. Too many years to get there, and I am on the decline, not on the upside.

Luckily my base already has a slot for holding it down. I do like the idea of maybe grinding the edges so i can have a good spot to bank against for set ups. I was looking into the idea for swapping the indexing plate to the back but looking at it right now. Looks to be some work to change that.

Main mod is to mill the base so you can just plop it in the mill vise. Since I have a BP 5" that means removing some material so that it will fit. Right now I need to remove the jaws for it to fit.

Another mod is to put clamping slots so that you just need to run studs up and nuts.. Rather than run clamps to it.

My mod was to mark the front collar to indicate where the alignment dowel is for the 5cs, so I am not fumbling for it. For me a very valuable time saver, and frustration saver.

@Cadillac, I always thought air spindle was so that it just rides on a cushion of air, that the tolerances where so perfect that the trapped air was what it rode on.. I didn't think it needed air added. I watched Dan Gelbart https://www.youtube.com/user/dgelbart/videos make one. It was from precision fitting, and the spindle just floated on air, I realized I will never be that good.. I would like to be, but it won't happen. Too many years to get there, and I am on the decline, not on the upside.
I have a air spindle for grinding endmill flutes and it has a air line. Air creates a cushion between housing and spindle,and help with keeping grinding dust away from spindle. From my experience they use air hence “air spindle or bearing“.

[mention]woodchucker [/mention] you are thinking of a hydrodynamic bearing as opposed to a hydrostatic bearing. The latter uses a fluid source to pressurize the interface (e.g., air), and that is what air-bearing sharpening spindles use. (They need a relatively static position, whereas a hydrodynamic bearing must continue moving to maintain the fluid pressure.)

I have a air spindle for grinding endmill flutes and it has a air line. Air creates a cushion between housing and spindle,and help with keeping grinding dust away from spindle. From my experience they use air hence “air spindle or bearing“.
ok, that's good to know.
Does the bearing leak air while pressurized, or is it totally sealed?

Back