Spindle acting like there is a brake

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Today after getting my new AXA 20 and tried new carbide inserts I noticed the spindle was acting like there is an electric brake and making some noise I never heard before. Could this be the bearing/s just gave up. It did not sound like this before and it free wheeled a little before coming to a stop..

Now it does this noise and electric brake like stopping

Worst case scenario, the tapered roller bearing/s must be replaced, is that something anyone can do or does it require a specialized skill to do the job. Bearing replacement sounds like a job for

Thoughts?

View My Video

Excuse the tail end of the video. I did not want to run the spindle any more than I have to, the reason I did not reshoot the video.

Dont know it sounds a lot like these late diesel pickups when you shut them down, you hear that "eeek" from the fan belt. thats what I hear.

If your lathe has a brake, then I would check to make sure it is releasing properly. Also put the spindle gears in neutral and confirm that the spindle turns freely. Then start working backwards to the motor to figure out what is tight. That really sounds like a spindle brake.

I could not sleep over the issue so I had to go back in the garage. I figured out the combination where I can turn the noise on and off. Any time the 2 feed rate levers (A-E and 1-8) are in any of their detents the rumbling noise. I drop both and bump the spindle, no noise and the spindle freewheels somewhat. I really do not know the real nomenclature of these levers, these are the 2 levers at the bottle of the front panel

243j8co.jpg

I opened the top cover of the gear box, there is oil and I do have the oil to do an oil change if needed.

Another problem I have if you look at the speed chart, the L lever is supposed to have 3 positions, but it only detents on 2. When I popped the top cover, I could see the L lever controls a transfer bar and at the end of the bar close to the end of box there is a shorter rod connected to the transfer rod this rod and this short one controls 3 gears that bolted or splined to each other. When I moved the lever from the down position, I call it position 1 and stop at the next detent, all is well, and tried to do the 3rd position, the shorter acts like it cammed over and it pushed the gears to the position 1, and the control lever on the panel just moves freely with no detent. Not sure if I were explaining it correctly. Topic for another day

243j8co.jpg

Before I can answer I need to ask you a question. What was the last operation you did with the lathe before the problem occurred and were there any problems then? That's actually two questions.

"Billy G"

No problem as far as I could tell during the turning opeartion on an aluminum stock. When I turned off the spindle that was when I heard the noise for the first time.

With no problems on the last time used I would have to agree there is a "Brake" problem.

"Billy G"

Have you been oiling all of the necessary points along the leadscrew and feed shaft (if appropriate)? If a bearing has gone dry, you could damage it by running it.

The problem is in the gears of the qcgb or the leadscrew/apron.
Disengage qcgb and try to turn leadscrew manually.
Turns fine?: problem in qcgb.
Doesnt turn fine?: problem in apron.

Thank you all for your input.

I think I found the problem. When I removed the side cover found the large gear that is supposed to engage the small gear at 1 o'clock position has backed off and the cogs are engaging on the top of each other instead of being meshed.

Don't know the proper terminology for these gears. There is another gear at about 4 o'clock of the large gear was fully meshed. I do not have the manual for adjustments on these gears, I used the G4003 manual and adjusted the gears.

All seems to work well now.

Back