Spindle cutting in and out

Well thats it i have went around their board and I'm using the kdsi-240d board to gain control using the Acorn so u think maybe the kdsi-240d is overheating??

I'm not familiar with the kdsi-240d, but I looked up it's specs. It appears to be an isolator, not a motor controller, unless I read it wrong.

I'll read up on that kdsi240 some more.

So your stock board converts 120v ac wall power to DC power, which then provides input power to your kdsi-240d board?

So, is your stock motor controller still providing the dc power for the motor?

If so, that stock board can't handle running the stock motor full-speed for long.

A small update I was out in the garage poking around and if you are looking up at the bottom of the tool where you can see thru the spindle there is a spanner nut it was less than hand tight so I unscrewed it and found the bottom taper roller bearing . After inspecting the bearing while looking upside down in the spindle it has very little grease but this maybe normal maybe .... but the sign of the spanner nut not even being hand tight ??? Does this mean the preload is gone ?? I will upload a picture

I see what your saying kind of like my truck can do 120 mph but running it at 120 to the store and back all day long with blow it out

What did you do to make your G0704 run like it does ? You said you upgraded your motor ??

A small update I was out in the garage poking around and if you are looking up at the bottom of the tool where you can see thru the spindle there is a spanner nut it was less than hand tight so I unscrewed it and found the bottom taper roller bearing . After inspecting the bearing while looking upside down in the spindle it has very little grease but this maybe normal maybe .... but the sign of the spanner nut not even being hand tight ??? Does this mean the preload is gone ?? I will upload a picture

I doubt it. If your spindle is like mine, the only preload adjuster is way, way up inside the spindle. The bottom bearing presses in, both the inner and outer race.

A properly greased spindle bearing won't show alot of visible grease. Though I could be mistaken, I doubt this is your problem.

BTW, the kdsi-240d boards manual lists it's maximum output as 10v 10 milliamps.
It's definitely not powering a 90vdc motor. It's just a signal isolator that's letting your computer control your DC motor controller.

Go through those checks I mentioned. Start isolating variables.

Does it still cut out when the spindle is dis-engaged from the motor?

Immediately after it starts cutting out, does the spindle turn freely?

What is the temp of the motor controller heatsink when the problem starts occurring?

I used a 2hp BLDC motor kit from GlockCNC. I bought 2 motors from them, a 6000 rpm motor, and a silver 5000rpm motor as a backup.

The BLDC driver works very similar to a 3 phase ac motors and VFD.

The pc controls the BLDC driver via a c7 spindle board, using the BLDC drivers onboard user control terminals.

I'll upload a video in about 15 minutes. So I don't get carpal tunnel typing.

I haven’t looked at the manual for your mill, but on my Millrite, the nut on the bottom holds the spindle in the quill by providing tension on the outer rings. If that is loose, the spindle could be floating around a bit, but you should still have preload on the bearing set.

There should not be much grease in there, the proper amount depends on bearing size and speed, but typically it only gets filled at most to 30% of the free space in a bearing of the size used in hobby mills. Here is a good article that goes into detail on it.

I doubt it. If your spindle is like mine, the only preload adjuster is way, way up inside the spindle. The bottom bearing presses in, both the inner and outer race.

A properly greased spindle bearing won't show alot of visible grease. Though I could be mistaken, I doubt this is your problem.

BTW, the kdsi-240d boards manual lists it's maximum output as 10v 10 milliamps.
It's definitely not powering a 90vdc motor. It's just a signal isolator that's letting your computer control your DC motor controller.

Go through those checks I mentioned. Start isolating variables.

Does it still cut out when the spindle is dis-engaged from the motor?

Immediately after it starts cutting out, does the spindle turn freely?

What is the temp of the motor controller heatsink when the problem starts occurring?
Ok im gonna do these checks and get back on here tomorrow and give an update . I really do appreciate the help Ken you have already done more than the company that sold the machine to me

Ok im gonna do these checks and get back on here tomorrow and give an update . I really do appreciate the help Ken you have already done more than the company that sold the machine to me

No problem.

In case you start thinking about upgrading your motor/controller setup, here's my setup. It's not the best, but it's been working for me:

Back