Spindle Goop

NegativeK

Registered
Registered
I was working on a mini pallet, and this just happened:
PXL_20210220_001146768.jpg

It's goop from the spindle of some kind. The machine is pretty new to me, and I've been adding spindle oil every time I've used it. Sometimes I get some extra drips, letting me know that I've added a little extra -- but this was like a dam burst, right in the middle of me countersinking a bunch of holes that I'd just drilled. The consistency is something similar to way oil. Definitely thicker than the spindle oil I've been using.

It's an Acra 2S (step pulley). Overall, the machine's in _really_ good shape.

Any thoughts? I'm getting some advice to pull the spindle just for inspection, which doesn't sound like too terrible of a weekend.

How new to you? Did the previous owner have sealed bearings installed which would be greased once. No lube in spindle oil port. Would lead to liquefying the grease and getting something similitude to that?

I've had it a few weeks. Since I'm a hobbyist just starting to set up a garage shop, it hasn't seen heavy use from me.

Previous owner had it in an auto shop, unused for at least a few years. I wasn't able to get detailed service history, so grease could definitely have happened but is still a question mark.

It looks like it was greased and the oil thinned it out.
White lithium mixed with spindle oil
Just like a grease gun that leaks In the hot sun.

Older BPs had zerk fittings for the ways. They where for a oil gun. Some knuckleheads put grease instead.

Well there's your (my) problem.

PXL_20210220_202717063.jpg

I'm a little concerned about what to do with the top sealed bearing, so I'll be doing research today. Starting with if sealed bearings keep out future oilings..

My gawd ... that's some groaty looking stuff ... and a very strange color!

Usually that chocolate milk looking color indicates some water mixed with oil.

I'm with @HD Bee probably oil churned up really good with that grease.

It didn't spend any time out in the rain did it?

Last edited:
Back